No announcement yet.

The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you can just convert the fittings and run r134a in the stock system, its not ideal. refill with r12 and leave it alone is ideal, or if you want to run R134a the right way use all the factory r134a AC pieces from a late model e30 with r134a from the factory.
    Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
    Bimmerbuddies LLC
    717-388-1256
    2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
    bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Whats the most common type of reman a/c compressor for the M20? I cannot find a seiko unit at all so I'm forced to just use a denso unit and change my lines. But which denso unit?

Comment

Here is a link to ebay you will find every reman compressor that was installed as new equipment. There are Bosch/Behr,Nippon Densoand and Seiko Seiki. I got lucky a friend has a Euro. boneyard and he had a '92-'93 vert with a Seiko-Seiki compressor that says R134a the BMW part # is 64 52 8 391 152,here is a pict. of both tags.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
          Are you sure it's the right dryer?
          Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
          I'd use another port for the pressure switches or remove it. I suspect that's there to attach a manifold gauge and is not for your switches.
          Well, I finally figured this out, and thought I'd post for the next r3ver doing A/C work for the first time.

To answer Jeff's quote above - the HPS would not fit in the only spare port on the drier.

I did some more research and figured out the problem: I was trying to use an old style HPS on a drier made for a new style HPS. So, gold star for Dark Side of Will and and Jeff for asking if I was using the wrong drier.

The old style drier and HPS are for set-ups WITH a low pressure switch, and the new style drier and HPS are for set-ups WITHOUT a low pressure switch.

Here is a pic of the correct dryer for the old style HPS. The Behr part number is 351200091.

Drier 351200091 7.15.17 by cory58f5, on Flickr

I bought this drier from Bav Auto, connected the new HPS and old LPS, installed everything back in the car with new green o-rings, drew a vacuum, let it sit for 30 minutes holding the vacuum, ran the vacuum pump for another 40 minutes, recharged, and ........ cold A/C!

For anyone interested, here is a picture of the new style HPS.

new style high pressure switch 7.4.17 by cory58f5, on Flickr

It attaches to the schrader valve fitting on the new style drier pictured in my original question post a (#384).

Cory
          Last edited by cory58; 08-03-2017, 01:50 PM.
          1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

Photo Bucket Pictures not Showing

I have a 1990 BMW E30 325i and I want to follow the glucklich21 Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion procedures. I can read the text, but the Photobucket pictures are not showing. Instead a Photobucket message ... saying "Please Update your Account to Enable 3rd Party Hosting" shows up where the pictures are supposed to be.

I went to Photobucket and created an account, but it seems to say that you have to upgrade to P500 to get 3rd Part hosting ... ~$400 for one year.

This request is a little off topic, but it does relate to the usability of this thread.

If anyone knows how to view the images in the original Thread, please forward the necessary information.

Thank you in advance for any help ...

UPDATE ... I just discovered the Aleman message with a link to a google drive copy of the original thread with pictures. I have downloaded it in pdf form so I have a full copy now. Thank you much Aleman!!! Ignore my above request as my problems are solved>
            Last edited by chomowitz; 08-03-2017, 09:15 AM. Reason: Discovered earlier message that had link to complete instructions with pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by hamann318is View Post
              I couldn't find a lot of detail on the forms, but I'm planning on doing this conversion specific to a M42 with a M44 electric fan (just plugged into the OEM aux fan wiring) - do I need to be concerned with adding a pusher fan?

I've added the lower temp switch and my aux fan is no longer connected, and when I hit the AC button, the electric puller fan comes on, or when it gets to about 3/5ths on the temp gauge, the fan comes on.

I don't think this will be a problem, but is that some kind of strain on the AC system?
              Can I get a bump on this question, anyone know if one pusher or puller fan would cut it? I just have a m44 puller eFan wired up already, would that cut it for AC and the engine?

I mean if you're not running a second efan on that S54 i'll take that as a yes too haha.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pb34 View Post
                Can I get a bump on this question, anyone know if one pusher or puller fan would cut it? I just have a m44 puller eFan wired up already, would that cut it for AC and the engine?

I mean if you're not running a second efan on that S54 i'll take that as a yes too haha.
                I ran the upgraded fan you saw in the post and an M44 fan after I removed my clutch fan. Both were wired on the same circuit and I also installed the lower temp switch with the stock thermostat. My car ran exactly in the middle at all times.

You need the airflow on the front of the condenser otherwise I think the performance of the AC system may be marginal in anything, but highway speed. Puller or not.

Comment

Great thanks for the quick response!

Any opinion on buy one of those universal O-Ring kits? Seemed like I could save a ton of money rather than buying BMW Brand stuff.
                  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...MCHPKXUA&psc=1

Also looks like ECS put together a O-ring Kit:
                  https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...4508390605~kt/
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
                    You need the airflow on the front of the condenser otherwise I think the performance of the AC system may be marginal in anything, but highway speed. Puller or not.
                    My E34 535i needed to be above ~40 mph and 2000 RPM for the A/C to work well. It just took the Germans a while to catch on to the rest of the world's need for good air conditioning.

Comment

R12 to R134a High Side Adapter

I have a BMW 1990 325i E30 that has the original R12 AC lines. My system was converted to R134a by a local car AC outfit. When I picked up the car, the hood would not close, because the High Side R134a Adapter was too tall. The technician took the adapter off so I could close the hood. I have been looking for a solution ever since (including visits to BMW Parts Dept.).

I need a high side adapter fitting that is low profile enough to prevent interference with the hood hinge for the High Side fitting on the line that runs parallel to the left front fender. I purchased a kit recommended by "glucklich21" in item #290 of this thread (link http://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics-...=r134a+adapter ) ,but I am unable to mount it. I tried both the 3/8" high side adapter and the 7/16" high side adapter. I think the 7/16" is the right size, but it only screwed on by about one thread, before the base of the adapter hit the main line (could go no further).

If someone knows that I am not installing this properly, please let me know.

Has anyone else run into this? Have you found an adapter that is "small" enough to thread on such that the valve will work?

Any and all advice is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by chomowitz View Post
                        I have a BMW 1990 325i E30 that has the original R12 AC lines. My system was converted to R134a by a local car AC outfit. When I picked up the car, the hood would not close, because the High Side R134a Adapter was too tall. The technician took the adapter off so I could close the hood. I have been looking for a solution ever since (including visits to BMW Parts Dept.).

I need a high side adapter fitting that is low profile enough to prevent interference with the hood hinge for the High Side fitting on the line that runs parallel to the left front fender. I purchased a kit recommended by "glucklich21" in item #290 of this thread (link http://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics-...=r134a+adapter ) ,but I am unable to mount it. I tried both the 3/8" high side adapter and the 7/16" high side adapter. I think the 7/16" is the right size, but it only screwed on by about one thread, before the base of the adapter hit the main line (could go no further).

If someone knows that I am not installing this properly, please let me know.

Has anyone else run into this? Have you found an adapter that is "small" enough to thread on such that the valve will work?

Any and all advice is welcome.

I keep the high side adapter in the glove box of my 'vert and install it before hooking up the gauges. My Touring came with the high and low adapters reversed, probably due to the hood not closing. That set-up works fine, as long as you already know (and always remember!) which is the low side.

Coincidentally, I've been trying to replace that high side hose on my Touring with the updated 134a version. Local dealer here said it was on indefinite back order. I needed to order some euro parts from Schmiedmann, so I added the hose to that order, just to see what happens. I will report back when I get the shipping confirmation from Schmiedmann.

Cory
                        1992 325i Cabrio
                        1988 320i Touring
                        2000 M5
                        1977 530i
                        2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                        BMWCCA
                        E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by pb34 View Post
                          Great thanks for the quick response!

Any opinion on buy one of those universal O-Ring kits? Seemed like I could save a ton of money rather than buying BMW Brand stuff.
                          https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...MCHPKXUA&psc=1

Also looks like ECS put together a O-ring Kit:
                          https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...4508390605~kt/

Hopefully the last question on Parts, looks like expansion valve PN has changed from the 64511466259 listed to 64518391209. So any opinions on Genuine BMW ($123) or Egelhof / rein ($25) or ACM($23) for the expansion valve?
                          Last edited by pb34; 08-07-2017, 06:29 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chomowitz View Post
                            When I picked up the car, the hood would not close, because the High Side R134a Adapter was too tall. The technician took the adapter off so I could close the hood.
                            I thought the EPA mandated, in typically short sighted fashion, that the adapters were not to be removable...

Comment

quick question....how long should the system hold vacuum? I was working in my garage, I hooked up the vacuum pump, it was holding steady at -30 the entire time. I shut the valve on the guage set, and it continued to hold -30. I went away for the weekend with everything still connected and when I came back yesterday, the system was no longer under vacuum. SHould this be ok to charge? How would I find a leak this small? It's a completely evacuated system, I R&R'd the whole thing with new o-rings and Nylog sealant....how would I go about finding a leak?

Also do compressors come pre-oiled? I bought a brand new one on ebay for my m42, just wanted to know if it comes with oil or not?
                              1991 318is ---230K - DD
                              1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                              so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

The system shouldn't leak down over a weekend. You'll need a leak sniffer, or soap and a lot of patience.

Ask the vendor if it has oil inside or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X