e36 lsd unit into e30 diff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e36 lsd unit into e30 diff?

I believe I can swap an lsd unit from my e36 3.38 diff into my open e30 3.73 diff using the e30 diff housing and ring and pinion I have been searching for a write up or any info for that matter on the swap. the 3.73 in my e30 is my ideal ratio and I have an e36 3.38 lsd diff with bad ring gear so I want to take the lsd unit out and put it in my e30. any info from anyone who's done it or knows for sure what has to be done not from ppl who aren't sure or have heard that it can be done would be great. I have m52 and zf and I really want the shorter 3.73 since its an n/a car not too worried about top speed.
    stuff I believe to be true is having to use the e36 sensor cuz the wheel is smaller on the e36 lsd unit? not 100% just heard that is the case but haven't come across a write up on doing the swap. I'm building a very nice 89 325i with m52 and zf trans every piece of suspension is new brakes all new fuel system all new all gaskets replaced brand new appearing interior I took from a wrecked car its getting painted as well the car is going to ride and look like a brand new car and I cannot wait to get it done please help and you will be rewarded with build photos hahaha which to some is better than a nice set of tits.
    thanks everyone, ryan

It's been said before but, if you use a 3.73 with the zf trans the gear ratios are just way too short unless it's a dedicated 7k+ track mule. I have a 3.64 in right now with an e36 trans and it's nearly unbearable on the street behind the M44 in my e30. 3200 rpm at 60 in 5th gets old real fast. Lucky for me I'm building a 3.25 lsd up for it. Sorry I'm not sure on the ring and pinion compatibility since mine is from and e28. Search and ye shall find tho.
    You say "Where are your other two cylinders?"
    I say "Where's your other camshaft?"
    Frankenmotor: if an M42, M44, M20, S50, and S52 were to have a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by benz-tech View Post
      It's been said before but, if you use a 3.73 with the zf trans the gear ratios are just way too short unless it's a dedicated 7k+ track mule. I have a 3.64 in right now with an e36 trans and it's nearly unbearable on the street behind the M44 in my e30. 3200 rpm at 60 in 5th gets old real fast. Lucky for me I'm building a 3.25 lsd up for it. Sorry I'm not sure on the ring and pinion compatibility since mine is from and e28. Search and ye shall find tho.
      I always research before posting but haven't come up with anything on putting the e36 lsd into an e30 diff. I know all about the gearing and ratio I had a 410 in my e36 with zf trans. the car isnt going to be a daily or see much highway at all so I'm not worried about it I have my e36 boosted to go out and have plenty of fun with. iv searched for about 2 hours on here and bimmerforums and haven't seen a thread on doing this swap

Comment

if I can do this swap it would save me hundreds on buying an lsd for the e30. I'm not removing the pinion gear on the e30 diff so I think I should be able to do the swap pretty strait up without having to worry about spacing the ring and pinion

Comment

Working...
        X