Official Aviation Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    That's definitely an early one with the square tail and all. Pretty tough to tell the difference between this model and a 172.

Speaking of lottery pipe dreams, one of my co workers has a t28. The engine has 36 hours since rebuild. I told him I would take it off his hands as soon as I pick the right numbers. He's only asking 160k for it with a garmin avionics stack. seems like a hell of a deal in exchange for 1400 horsepower.
    160K is about the going price for T28s. Some are more, a few are less, but that is in the ballpark. Have a look here. http://courtesyaircraft.com/ac-type/warbirds-trainers/

After a lot of looking, I have found that 77M isn't the earliest, however its one of the earliest. Someone is actually restoring the very first 175, should fly later this year. As it turns out, 77M is 476th one off the line, it was easy to figure out after I found what serial number was the first. I have yet to find a pic of the first one even though I now have the N number. Still, I think 77M is in the top 10 or so earliest remaining 175s.

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Official Aviation Thread...

That's definitely an early one with the square tail and all. Pretty tough to tell the difference between this model and a 172.

Speaking of lottery pipe dreams, one of my co workers has a t28. The engine has 36 hours since rebuild. I told him I would take it off his hands as soon as I pick the right numbers. He's only asking 160k for it with a garmin avionics stack. seems like a hell of a deal in exchange for 1400 horsepower.

That would be pretty awesome. What are you doing today, "Oh I'm just going to go take the T28 out for a quick flight!" The list of planes that I want to fly is ever growing and that one is definitely on the list. Love the sound of those 9 cylinder Cyclones.

Also a quick update on Private license. Flying a three hour cross country today and after that all I need is a final mock checkride on Monday and I'll be all good for final check ride/admittance checkride out at K-State. Taking the written early tomorrow morning so hopefully that goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by ThatM20Guy; 08-10-2017, 08:04 AM.
      89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
      I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Godspeed!!!!
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Here are a few pics that my friend Connor shot at Oshkosh this year.

Will
          '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post

Will

That shot is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Godspeed!!!!

Danke! Will let you know how it goes.

I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatM20Guy View Post
              That shot is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Danke! Will let you know how it goes.

Conner is really good with the camera. He was part of the EAA photocrew this year. He shot over 5000 pics. He has only posted a few pics. I wish I could share more. You can find some of them here. His name is Conner Madison. https://www.flickr.com/photos/eaaairventureoshkosh/

Good luck with your solo.

Will
              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Thanks for the link. Some of those photos in there are incredible.

Excited to say I got all of my solo hours done yesterday and flew a mock checkride as well. Thursday I flew for about 5 hours + 4 hours of studying for the written and then Friday flew for about 4-5 hours, plus 2 hours of ground/oral exam on top of the written that morning. Glad I'm done with all of it though so now I can focus on actually getting ready to head off to college :D

Comment

Some good ATC work here.

Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Several years ago, I did the fly in with my brother and one of his buddies. We walked around with a handheld aviation radio. It sounded exactly like the clip you posted above. They have airplanes landing on pretty much all runways and taxiways at the same time. It is indeed a fucking zoo. The controllers that work the show are the best of the best from all over the country. They volunteer for that job. I think I recognize that guy's voice as a controller on New York approach. There is so much traffic, they tell you not to respond verbally to instructions. When you combine this with pilots of all sorts of proficiency levels, it really is a wonder they don't have a few mid air collisions every year.

Pilots are constantly fucking it up and getting yelled at.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the input - got a few questions - as I love to learn about stuff.

Several years ago, I did the fly in with my brother... It is indeed a fucking zoo.
                      Questions. Why the orange dot and green dot? Because it's all small craft, and they wanted them to use a smaller part of the runway before it intersects the other runway? Basically now having 4 runways?

Also, the ATC was calling out aircraft not by N-numbers, or transponders but by description, yet they were at least a mile or more out. So was some guy on the ground looking through, what I assume would need to be a telescope, to see "Oh, tail dagger with your lights on, wiggle for me....ok that's you, turn right 90 and contact 26.6"

I guess if you're little piper-cub coming to the show won't have a transponder thing-a-ma-bob? And would normally report your position?

Comment

I'm kinda of curious how the Cubs that don't have radios come in? Hand held radio? Light gun signals would be a cluster

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                          Thanks for the input - got a few questions - as I love to learn about stuff.

Questions. Why the orange dot and green dot? Because it's all small craft, and they wanted them to use a smaller part of the runway before it intersects the other runway? Basically now having 4 runways?

Also, the ATC was calling out aircraft not by N-numbers, or transponders but by description, yet they were at least a mile or more out. So was some guy on the ground looking through, what I assume would need to be a telescope, to see "Oh, tail dagger with your lights on, wiggle for me....ok that's you, turn right 90 and contact 26.6"

I guess if you're little piper-cub coming to the show won't have a transponder thing-a-ma-bob? And would normally report your position?

i'll try to answer all of that to the best i can. some period of time before the fly in, the faa issues a notice to airmen(notam) about what the procedures are going to be for the year for airplanes landing during the busy times. i have not read in a really long time, but i remember that there were several pages of info to follow. as you could probably tell by listening to that clip, some people have better reading comprehension than others.

those cessna pilots in the vid landed on runway 27. its the east/west runway in the diagram i posted above. they landed coming from the east and going to the west. (heading 270) that runway is about 6000 feet long iircc. a single engine cessna should be able to land in well under 2000'. they landed on the orange dot at the approach end of the runway. the green dot is further down. you may notice toward the end of the vid, there is a green "aura" in the cockpit for a couple seconds as they taxi over the top of it. i think they stagger the landings orange dot/green dot so they can get more arrivals in a given period of time. they try to make it as idiot proof as possible.

the controllers do not use call signs or n-numbers because they don't have time to look at a screen to get that info. i think they are looking out with binoculars to see the planes as they come in. there are a good number of antiques that come to the show without transponders. possibly this is another reason they use the system they do. in my opinion, in this day and age, if you fly around an airplane without a mode c altitude reporting transponder, you are an idiot.

i bet almost every day, an airliner near a terminal area somewhere has a near miss with some little errant general av airplane. sometimes airliners get below the protected airspace of the airports they are flying in too.

Originally posted by ThatM20Guy View Post
                          I'm kinda of curious how the Cubs that don't have radios come in? Hand held radio? Light gun signals would be a cluster

im not sure but i think everyone is required to have a radio. a hand held is probably acceptable.
                          Last edited by flyboyx; 08-17-2017, 08:41 AM.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

"Yeah, you, the blue one with the yellow stripes!" "No, the other blue one!" "Dammit, people, pay attention!!"

Comment

In fact, a short google search led me to this. I didn't take the time t read it, but if any of you are curious, here are the deats. I think I saw that the booklet is 35 pages.

The FAA Notice – AirVenture flight procedures book outlines procedures, radio frequencies, and more to make your trip safe and smooth.
                              sigpic
                              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

I asked on the youtube video. Turns out it's super low tech. They direct everyone to follow a railroad track to the airport. Line them up, and keep them 1/2 mile apart. 2 or 3 miles out they have spotters on the ground far out, looking at the planes and instruct them to go right or left - hence why they can spot a plane 2-3 miles out without a transponder, and by high wing/low wing and colors, and confirm it with a wing dip. Then the tower (I assume) can get them on radar, and call out anyone going too far over the water, or not on a approach, ect....Still amazing.

Those calls did not come from the tower at the airfield. There are manned checkpoints which you have to pass and where they identify you visually and give you instructions on how to continue. Remember when he rocked his wings? That was one such point, he was flying directly over the people who told him to rock his wings.
                                Still, that's some fine ATC work to bring in about one plane a minute, or more. No?
                                Last edited by george graves; 08-18-2017, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X