Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would the gallon cans of that dap be enough? I want to do mine and my sisters roof, or would I need the five gallon?

Comment

Posting on an old thread, but was curious if you ran into this issue, the rear window being pinched when folded up.

Since I've purchased my E30, the top was so old I never actually saw it fold correctly into the boot.

Now I'm getting this little crease/pinch mark.

Comment

It's been nearly two years since I've done a soft top install, so bear with me! One thing I've noticed is the variations between the different companies that produce the tops. Between the old top (not the original one) and the new one that was installed (ebay), I never noticed the gasket/weatherstrip piece around the plastic window. Getting the top lined up correctly on the frame was important and required lots of measuring and double checking those measurements. The soft tops aren't perfect though, especially since the frame requires shims and such to fit each chassis individually. When I finished mine though, there was a crease somewhere on the plastic window, so I think it just comes with the territory. After almost two years, no problems with the top tearing or cracking the plastic window, so as long as no damage is being done leave it alone? Hopefully this helps.

Comment

I keep thinking about doing this, though I am still concerned that I could get it done right.

Comment

Hey Guys -

Which brand of the top did you end up going with? I'm the process of picking up a new one and I have to say this write up looks great, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by piwko98 View Post
              Hey Guys -

Which brand of the top did you end up going with? I'm the process of picking up a new one and I have to say this write up looks great, thank you!
              I did my top least year. I bought the top and tension straps from the ebay user 'topsonline.com'. Their customer service was good, the top fit well and has held up just fine over the last year.

I used DAP Weldwood glue. That also worked quite well. I have the 3/4 of a gallon that was left over for sale if you are interested: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show....php?p=4619199
              1987 325i Convertible
              2015 Fiesta SFE: 1.0L of 'Woah, is that torque under 2k?'

Comment

Great thank you!

I saw the detailed write up, was it pretty straight forward to do besides time intensive?

Comment

Originally posted by piwko98 View Post
                  Great thank you!

I saw the detailed write up, was it pretty straight forward to do besides time intensive?
                  Yes, there are a couple others out there that are worth reading as well. Search around.

It is prolly overkill but i bought as many of the OEM fasteners as i could (rivits etc). The little aluminum brackets that are formed to pinch the side cable also will break extremely easily as you try and remove the cable. Expect to need to replace at least one of them unless you are a good fabricator.

Clean Clean Clean. I spent a LONG time removing the old glue and prepping the surfaces. I sprayed all corroding or scraped spots with black rustolium. The 'citrus' adhesive remover i used needed lots of time (30 min plus sometimes) to soak in but it did its job.

My top had a couple complicating factors that i wrote up here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show....php?p=4619333
                  1987 325i Convertible
                  2015 Fiesta SFE: 1.0L of 'Woah, is that torque under 2k?'

Comment

Great, thank you for sharing the information.

Comment

BadCab, that's a precious guide.
                      I have one question: on my 320i, one of the previous owners changed the soft top, but meaning the fabric and rear window only. They didn't change the elastic strips nor the seals.
                      The seals are not perfect, but working a bit on the front corners I don't have any problems of leaking.
                      The problem are the strips. They are totally flat and don't help folding the top when opening. I have the electro-mechanical top, so it's really a pity to get off of the car and fold it by hand.

Is it possible to change the strips without removing the top, seals and so on?

Comment

I see BadCab is inactive since some years, does anybody knows something about the soft top and how to change the elastic strips?

Comment

It can be done and I have seen diy for it but it is a pita. E30ic.com has a write up on a bandiad fix using Velcro elastic bands. I tried it and it didn't work for me but I also think I missed a step. I never have the top up in the summer so I didn't try real hard.

'08 E90 328i Sport '04 E53 3.0 '02 E46 325i Sport '91 E30 325ic M-Technic

Comment

I had this link from when I did mine, I liked the pictures.

It wasn't loading to day, so here is my cached version.
                            Fitting my new BMW E30 Convertible Top June 2007 Disclaimer: Please note: I have documented the process I performed on my car for your information. Please refer to instructions supplied with your new ...

And this one, that looked pretty detailed.

Comment

Originally posted by cat97628 View Post
                              fix using Velcro elastic bands
                              It seems a smart idea... I'll look for it, almost as temporary solution ;)

Comment

there's also the weak tension strap fix
                                I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                                TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                                e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X