No announcement yet.

Ruthless the turbo 325ix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright well I figured out how to get the crank pulley off, I just used a harmonic balancer to pull it. I have read that you should not hot tank the block because the bearing for the intermediate shaft will get destroyed. Should I just replace the bearings anyway? I will ask my machine shop tomorrow if they can do that. Also would a 2.7l stroker be worth doing? I'm just weighing some options, and if a stroker is worth it I don't see why not since I'm already this far. Opinions?

Comment

those bearings are always a iffy situation, I replaced mine with no problems but make sure your using a trusted shop because the bearings need to be machined to your intermittent shaft with .001 to .0015 clearance if I recall correctly.

As far as going to a 2.7 well thats just where it all starts, a good old while im in there haha.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Ok so I got the block and head to the machine shop and my machinist said that his "hot tank" is bearing and aluminum friendly so I will just reuse the intermittent shaft bearings. I was wondering I I put ETA pistons on my I rods and crank if its just plug and play? The ETA piston is dished so it should lower my CR correct? Or should I use the shorter ETA rods with my I piston and crank? I have searched but most threads are about building a normal/high compression stroker and i obviously want lower compression for my turbo build. I am having the head and block decked so my compressor will go up.

Comment

Got the block and head back from the machine shop looks great now just need to find some money to get it out together..

Comment

What are your plans for the oil cooler? bypass or relocate? upgrade?

I've got my turbo mounted but still fuxxing around with intercooler location. Today I'll try it in front of my radiator....how about yours?
            it's an E30.......sigpic
            Originally posted by D...
            How the hell did I miss this? Must be cause I was reading some guys Cavalier build.

Comment

It depends on how big your intercooler is. My intercooler fits without having to relocate my oil cooler location.

Comment

I'd go for the 2.7 crank from an eta. maybe snag some s50 rods (same length as "i" rods, but a bit lighter)

There's tons of info around here on stroker stuff and there are a bunch of different ways to do it
                1989 JDM-Tech 2
                2010 335 D for daily

Comment

I'm probably just going to go stock and not go stroker, to much money I don't have.

Comment

Alright well I have made some progress but I also have a question. I painted my engine and also replaced the freeze plugs looks pretty good.

I also got my crank in and I have a question about the main caps, basically when I took them out and kept them in order but I don't know which direction they are suppose to be orientated does it matter? I originally put them in the way I thought they went but they didn't seem to fit then I flipped them and they fit alot better, does it matter which way they go? Here is how I currently have them

This is after I flipped them the way I "thought" they went, any help is appreciated. I also got my intercooler in look good I will probably paint it black for stealth purposes.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about painting the intercooler black. Once everything gets bolted back on its hardly noticeable. Great progress so far.
                      Build Thread

Comment

You should have the bearing tabs on the same side in the block and caps if I'm not mistaken.
                        E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                        E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Got some parts in and more on the way!

Instagram pic with my good and tight turbo mani and my holset.

But I also have a pressing question I don't know where to put my turbo drain bung I marked the 2 places I am thanking about putting the drain bung.

I put the 2 spots where I think it should be, if anybody has turbo experience with a turbo ix please let me know. Neither of the positions cover a oil pan bolt.

Comment

This is were I put mine, right behind the alxe
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

I put mine further back and it clears the oil pickup.

318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                              '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Nice build, how is the turbo manifold ?

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

Working...
                                X