1990 e30 325I LS1 swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 e30 325I LS1 swap thread

Hello to all! My name is Wes and this will be my journey into the e30 LS swap. I work at a performance shop outside of Atlanta, GA where we support a few e30 spec racers. I love the body style of the e30 but looking at what you have to do to get any performance out of a M20, I decided to just go with a LS swap. I'm already partial to the LS motor and really know nothing about BMW engines so the fit seemed right. I'm by no means a mechanic but I am capable of doing most things with help(I sit behind a desk all day). My goal was to find something that was in pretty good shape cosmetically because I would be parting with the drive train anyway. Here is what I came up withClick image for larger version

Name:	E301.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	7247447

Click image for larger version

Name:	e302.jpg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	7247448

Click image for larger version

Name:	e303.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	7247449

The paint is in good shape. The front seats and carpet will need replacing but the dash is crack free. The car is lowered with some brand of coilovers - not sure what they are. I'm going to hold off on pulling the motor until i have everything ready to go. I will be going with a full sikky kit, chase bays BBE and wiring specialties wiring harness. The motor and trans were pulled from a 2001 trans am and I will be posting some pics of that process shortly. Any feedback or suggestions along the way is greatly appreciated!

I found a donor 2001 Trans Am. Owner had broken off a spark plug in the head. No big deal because I have other plans for the head[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160303/d3d4d2d388ffb92fe58bde2f00b0be4f.jpg[/IMG
    engine was really dirty....I was going to pull it down anyway but I was just hoping that it was in fairly good shape
    There is a machine shop next door and the guy over there is doing me a favor on the machine work. Came over and checked everything out. No boring needed. Just a clean, honing and fresh bearings
    Block cleaned up well after a bath
    Honing after the clean
    Polishing the crank
    Down to the head work which should be done this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Parts to go in the motor
      Lunati rocker arms with the upgrade
      Lunati lifters
      Pistons cleaned up and ready to go
      Bearings and gaskets
      As soon as the heads are done we will start putting the motor together

Comment

Looks like a solid start what are your plans for the heads? Trickflow or something?
        1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
        COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Got a set of heads from a guy that worked at a local corvette performance shop. They have had some porting done along with upgraded springs and retainers. Not sure on the specs but they are supposed to flow much better. Not getting too crazy with the motor.

Comment

Very unique color. The motor will look great in there :).

Caaan you do me a favor? Can you take a few pix of the whole kit with all the parts? I want to verify that/if it comes with everything I think it comes with. Like clutch line and quick bleed kit.

Comment

Awesome project! Definitely jelly of the cheap, plentiful aftermarket support you get with an LS motor. Can't wait to see more.

Comment

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
                Very unique color. The motor will look great in there :).

Caaan you do me a favor? Can you take a few pix of the whole kit with all the parts? I want to verify that/if it comes with everything I think it comes with. Like clutch line and quick bleed kit.
                Yea haven't seen many this color. I got some parts coming in first of next week and the sikky kit will be next. After that I will be getting the Chase Bays kit. As soon as I get it I will throw some pics up.

Comment

hell yeah man! cant wait to see this thing come to life! yours as well as mine haha

whatever questions you got let me know and ill try to help as much as i can!
                  e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Reyhan335 View Post
                    hell yeah man! cant wait to see this thing come to life! yours as well as mine haha

whatever questions you got let me know and ill try to help as much as i can!
                    Yea looking forward to seeing yours done too! I have been pretty busy the past 2 weeks so haven't been able to get much done on the car. I have parts coming in next week and the motor should be finalized this week. Hope to pick some speed on this project after that.

Comment

Awesome I have the same color car except my paint is faded LOL. This is one of my options for a swap too but BAR'd because Cali.
                      IG: Dhithim
                      2015 Subaru BRZ 380whp
                      My '87 Project
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=382462

Comment

I live in GA so with the age of the car I can pretty much do anything I want.

Comment

I am also knee deep into a LS swap here in Roanoke, VA. Good luck with your build!
                          /// E92 335i Msport FBO + Meth /// E70 X5 4.8i /// E30 325is LSX Swapped /// E30 325ix ///

Comment

If you wanna see mine, I'm just outside of DC on the virginia side. By GMU

Comment

Are you going turbo? Or why such a mild/smallish cam?
                              Worlds 1st LS powered e30 cabby.
                              Cab
                              billac: 92 LagunengrĂ¼n cabriolet + cadillac LQ9 + Nitrous + rotiform SJC

Raphael: 88 LagunengrĂ¼n IX + Hella 500's + Red ACS type 1's

Shaggin Wagon
                              : 01 325xiT 5 speed

91 MR2 GT3076TS + E85 = 505whp + antilag = wheelies
                              88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

Working...
                              X