Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone close to Orange County that can help with an M50 engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone close to Orange County that can help with an M50 engine?

Hey fellas, Im in a need of some help and Im wondering if any of you are willing to help as Im a bit stuck. A few weeks ago I got my Tech-II sedan back from getting the swap done. I placed in a single Vanos M50 in there. Unfortunately the engine when started had a really bad backfire. I proceeded to replace a few things to help take care of the issue:

-Replacement working AFM
    -spark plugs
    -All six coils
    -Crank position sensor

When I replaced all those parts it took care of the misfire and the idle is much better but still have a cold start problem. It takes many cranks for the engine to start, once it does start I have to give it some gas to avoid it from stalling. Once I do that for a few seconds the car settles down and idles perfectly.

If I turn it off then at times it takes a bunch of cranks to get it started again, sometimes it doesn't and I even give up. This is the main reason I dont want to drive it yet. If it stalls Im going to probably need a tow truck.

The only thing I can think of is the Vanos, I do get from time to time a check engine light with code 1266 which is the Vanos. The code comes and goes. I replaced the Vanos Solenoid to see if that took care of the code but it didn't. I had not turned the car on for a few days and the CEL is now gone but don't doubt it will come back again.

The second issue I have is the temp sensor is not giving me a reading on the dash. I already tried two different brown e30 sensors but I still dont get a reading (frustrating). The cluster is good and even replaced the SI board batteries.

So any of you guys willing to lend a hand? I need to get this car done so I can sell it. Im of course willing to pay for your time. Any help would be greatly appreciated as Im at my whits end with this issue. Thanks so much.

Chris
    1989 M3
    1991 M5
    1997 M3 (Technoviolet)

I would start off by cleaning your idle air control valve under the intake manifold and look any vac leaks. Check the wires coming from the temp sensor to see if there are any breaks or getting any voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by freakingerble View Post
      I would start off by cleaning your idle air control valve under the intake manifold and look any vac leaks. Check the wires coming from the temp sensor to see if there are any breaks or getting any voltage.
      Cool yeah I actually check for leaks and cleaned the ICV all seems ok. Im actually going to replace the fuel pump. I think that may be the culprit. I ordered it and it should be here this weekend. I still have the 1266 Vanos code... thanks for the input, going to try to see if plug is getting any power.

C
      1989 M3
      1991 M5
      1997 M3 (Technoviolet)

Comment

Quick update, it was the fuel pump. I tested it and at times it would not prime. When It did the car turned on but then it idled like shit. I got a new one in yesterday and installed it. The car turns on right away and idles smoothly.
        1989 M3
        1991 M5
        1997 M3 (Technoviolet)

Comment

Sweet, I hope you enjoy it. Are you going to BAR it?
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
          X