BC Coilover question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BC Coilover question

Hey, Ive got a set of BC Coilovers on my E30 and im wondering what is the minimum amount the shock body needs to be threaded into the housing?

I've had a bit of a look around and emailed BC Racing but haven't heard back.

Im just wanting to set my coilovers and i want to make sure i have enough thread in the housings

Thanks
    Blake

I'd suggest that basic engineering principals / common sense would apply to rather critical things like suspension.

Depending upon how u want to think about that it could be either
    a) 1.5x the diameter of the part inserted into the threaded collar. So, say the OD of the threaded part is 50mm, you want 75mm threaded in
    b) the diameter of the part + 3 threads. So, 50mm + 3 threads of wind in.

You probably want to err on the side of caution because think what happens if it goes bad...

Functionally speaking, shocks that let you thread the body up and down their mounting point let you set them so you get maximum upstroke without bottoming the tire out on the chassis. To do you this you'd mount the shock without a spring into the car and then mount the wheel/tire you plan to use and then jack up the wheel, up and up, until it hits the top of the wheel arch. If it doesnt hit, raise the shock in the mount until you have maybe 5-10mm clearance. If it doesnt hit, lower the shock in the mount until you have the same.
    Doing that means you're never going to bottom your wheel on your chassis, which is nice, because that pinch weld up there can cause a lot of tire damage real quick.

MCA suspension have a nice video how to do this. Look it up on youtube probably.
    88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Thanks burkey001! Makes sense 1.5 times the diameter it is!!

I'll give the setting the right shock height a go aswell!

Comment

Working...
      X