Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assembled by ECS H&R Race/Bilstein Sport: Custom Valving ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assembled by ECS H&R Race/Bilstein Sport: Custom Valving ?

So as of lately, I've been doing a lot of research on aftermarket suspensions for our cars. When making the decision between getting a mid-range set of coilovers or a shock/spring combo, I ultimately chose to get the Bilstein Sport/H&R Race, due to quality and cost-to-benefit. (No, I'm not looking to debate about that last statement )

Link to the kit:

One reoccurring point that many people made is that it is best to get your shocks revalved to match whichever springs you choose. Upon opening the package from ECS, I noticed the box for the front shocks was stamped "CUSTOM VALVED" in red text. I also found the same words printed on the label attached to shock tube (see attached image).

So my question is: Does ECS order custom valved shocks to match the springs for their "Assembled by ECS" kits?
    Attached Files
    1988 Turbo 327i
    2007 Z4 M Coupe
    2008 Harley Nightster​

@s0uth.paw

https://martiniworks.com/builds/1988-bmw-325/

This is very cool if true and it's about time. Hard to dispute when there's a Bilstein label that states " Custom Valving" right on the dampers. I'd email ECS to confirm.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Interesting, I know Bilstein is trying to improve customer-service state-side (years ago it was horrendous). However, those part numbers are standard E30-specific numbers, meaning they are available from any Bilstein reseller.

Unless it says "ECS" specifically on the same tag then I'm guessing it's not an exclusive.
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Sent an email to ECS Customer Service last night. Still awaiting a response. I agree though, it would be really interesting if they do provide custom valved shocks for all their ECS kits.

I do find it weird that only the front ones are labeled as custom. If this entire thing is intentional, I would want to know the reason.

Updates coming soon!
        1988 Turbo 327i
        2007 Z4 M Coupe
        2008 Harley Nightster​

@s0uth.paw

Comment

UPDATE: Sorry it took so long for my update. The email from customer service was actually sitting in my spam box for several days before I noticed it.

Here's what the email from Dan Miller @ ECS Customer Service said:

__________________________________________________ ________________________
          Hello,

Thank you for contacting ECS Tuning. Yes, the kit is custom valved for the springs. We try and ensure the most dialed in experience when it comes to those race kits. Thank you for shopping at ECS Tuning!
          __________________________________________________ ________________________

I just finished installing the kit yesterday. With my setup, its definitely stiffer than stock, but actually very bearable, considering the extremely terrible roads in my area of Jersey. Bumps definitely do translate into the cabin, but I feel like it wouldn't be as pronounced if I didn't have all poly bushings (80a everything). It doesn't seem as rough of a ride as what many people on the forums previously described it as being (Probably due to the custom valving!). You do feel the bumps in the road, but more through the steering wheel than the seats (again, probably Poly's fault!)

On a side note, my car accelerates faster, and the Stroumung exhaust I have actually sounds better! I'm gonna guess that my worn shocks and bushings were putting a strain on the drive train before.

Turn in is amazing. The setup really gives you confidence in cornering. The car stays flat and literally feels like its on rails. Overall, I'm happy that I went with this setup, rather than some cheap coilovers. Going from a worn out suspension to this setup made me realize why people love e30's. Maybe I'll do Ground Controls in the future.

**I'll give another update in a couple of weeks!**

Btw, here's my setup:

•"Assembled by ECS Tuning" H&R Race/Bilstein Sport Kit
          •Garagistic 80a poly bushing kit (offset CABs, 12mm rear sumbframe riser bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, offest diff mount)
          •Revshift 12mm differential riser stud kit
          •Rogue Engineering RSMs
          •Sachs strut top mounts
          •E90 drop hats.
          •No spring pads in front and both spring pads in the rear
          •Revshift 80a Engine and Transmission mounts
          Last edited by illmaticD; 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM.
          1988 Turbo 327i
          2007 Z4 M Coupe
          2008 Harley Nightster​

@s0uth.paw

Comment

How could you NOT post a side shot with before and after pics!?!?!? Please tell me you took them and havent posted them yet. If you havent, an after pic will be acceptable
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              How could you NOT post a side shot with before and after pics!?!?!? Please tell me you took them and havent posted them yet. If you havent, an after pic will be acceptable
              Yes I have taken pictures haha. I probably need to take another after picture, as its been about two weeks, and the suspension should be "fully settled". Here's a link to the before and after shot. I'll have to post a picture here, when I have the chance

1988 Turbo 327i
              2007 Z4 M Coupe
              2008 Harley Nightster​

@s0uth.paw

Comment

Working...
              X