Keyless entry options? cheapo route or overpriced route

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyless entry options? cheapo route or overpriced route

Hey guys, I'm really keen to add keyless entry to my E30. I plan on wiring into the trunk lock which seems like the perfect place for it. And I want an E46 key fob- it looks great, and even though they sometimes come with the wrong key blank, you can open it up and put the right key blank in there.

So, here are two kits that look basically identical, and should function identically. But they are at vastly different price ranges. One suspiciously cheap, and I'm worried about it crapping out. The other seems rather expensive for what it is.

Let me know what you guys think, and if you have any experience with these kits:

The $45 (shipped) eBay via Bulgaria route: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remote-Centr...VWDTuk&vxp=mtr

And the $185 "United Auto Security" route: https://www.amazon.com/BMW-Keyless-E...+keyless+entry

Any input or experience?

The German Engineering setup was the go-to but I dont know that Nigel is selling them anymore.... shame
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

A few years back, the GE keyless was a great buy for the money. And Nigel seemed to be very committed to the product. Anybody have any feedback on the product? Or if it's still available?

Comment

Yeah, I looked into the German Engineering product but it looks like it's not longer sold, as their website is down.

Comment

I bought a $20 one from ebay like three years ago and it's still going strong. Wired to the trunk lock

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
            I bought a $20 one from ebay like three years ago and it's still going strong. Wired to the trunk lock
            This: $14 on Amazon three years ago, works great and wired it in the trunk.
            Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Have you looked at this "Directed 2102T Passive Keyless Entry System". It may be a better option.

Comment

I use the Omega REC43T just like the thread (somewhere) shows and it works like a charm. Definitely recommend, and it was cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by cspec View Post
                  I use the Omega REC43T just like the thread (somewhere) shows and it works like a charm. Definitely recommend, and it was cheap.
                  X2, this is what I've got. Love it. The fob almost looks factory too, it's so simple.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
                  (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Directed looks like a good company. They've apparently become parent of Viper, Clifford, Python, Autostart, Avital and several others.

Directed 210T still sold by several places; Jet.com selling it for $23. Looks like it's last updated 2012. One 1-button remote. I like the 1-button but cheapest 2nd remote is probably buy 2 and try to reprogram 2nd system's remote.

Avital 210L might be more widely sold; jet sells for $31. Last updated 2015. 2 4-button remotes. Probably an easier way to get 2 remotes.

Not real sure about Jet.com, never used them before. Looking for alternatives to Amazon though.

Originally posted by gath View Post
                    Have you looked at this "Directed 2102T Passive Keyless Entry System". It may be a better option.

Comment

Has anyone installed Directed 2102T Passive Keyless Entry System. I am looking for insight because I bought it and the wiring directions are very confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by bobdavisnpf View Post
                        Directed looks like a good company. They've apparently become parent of Viper, Clifford, Python, Autostart, Avital and several others.
                        Funny story. All those companies are all DEI (IIRC.) In was a brilliant move by it's founder. Rather then let competitors move into the space, they just created 10 different brands in the same market space. Viper, clifford, and Python...all the same under the DEI brand. I think UNGO was a separate brand for a bit, but got sucked up into it.

Anyways. Read reviews. And sometimes the off brand is the same thing, but cheaper.
                        Originally posted by Matt-B
                        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by cspec View Post

dido....4yrs on this one, and works like a charm
                          www.instagram.com/snwmble
                          #snwmble

Current:
                          '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                          '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                          '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                          '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                          '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                          '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                          '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                          '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

A quick Amazon search for "Omega REC43T" found this...

https://www.amazon.com/Proline-REC43.../dp/B00C92O5KS

Is it the same device, with a rebranded name???

Comment

Originally posted by kevlarian View Post
                              A quick Amazon search for "Omega REC43T" found this...

Is it the same device, with a rebranded name???
                              Looks like, but no real way to tell for sure.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
                              (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Working...
                              X