Check Panel Oil Lights- Engine Oil & Oil Overheat, which sensors, M50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check Panel Oil Lights- Engine Oil & Oil Overheat, which sensors, M50

For the regular E30 the check panel has a light for Engine Oil. Which sensor is this regularly connected to on the engine. My car has an M50 so which sensor should this connect to on M50? Another question I had is that I have another check panel that has Oil Overheat in place of the seatbelt light on the left side. Is there any way to swap in that panel and connect it to some sensor so that it will function?

Main question is how do I get Engine oil light to go off on check panel? The M50 looks like it has some type of 2 pin sensor by the oil pan, and I have a loose 3 pin wiring connector in that area. Where does the check panel get it's signal from on the stock M20 engine?

Comment

The engine oil light is connected to the oil level switch in the oil pan.

Regarding oil overheat, I would look at the ETM manual, electrical schematics for the euro cars and analyze the circuit for that light and duplicate in your car.

Owner - Bavarian Restoration
      BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
      www.BavRest.com
      My Feedback Thread
      Our Facebook!
      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
        The engine oil light is connected to the oil level switch in the oil pan.

Regarding oil overheat, I would look at the ETM manual, electrical schematics for the euro cars and analyze the circuit for that light and duplicate in your car.
        Thanks for response. I can make an adapter or modify wiring to plug in the harness to sensor in oil pan, but pretty sure wiring was 3 pin and sensor was 2 pin, so not sure what to do with that extra pin. I could probably just try jumpering the different pins and see if any combo makes the check panel light turn off.

Comment

Buy a E30 M3 check panel. It doesn't have an oil level light on the check panel nor a oil overheat light.

Or

The oil level sensor uses three wires, 2 from the C101 and a ground. The x20 doesn't have a corresponding sensor. So when the swap was done they would have had to run those two wires and a ground to the area of the oil level sensor. And pin or solder in the connector from the C101 harness to the oil level sensor. I did my swap about 10 years ago and I don't remember everything like the wire colors so you will have to read the wiring diagrams.

Oil overheat is most likely a euro check panel that is just an oil pressure NTC sensor that after it went to a low enough resistance made the light come on. We already have one of those on the regular gauge cluster so it would just be redundant to install it. But if you wanted to any way, you could use the wiring diagram hyperlink I provided or a Bentley and find the wire in the gauge cluster, split it, run a wire from the split behind the dash up the a pillar cover and over the check panel. Once it is over to the check panel you will need to solder the split wire to the board because there won't be any other way connect to the check panel.

I think you can just ground out the high wire and the light will get the signal that the level is full and will stay off.
          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Thanks for response. I do have the sensor harness coming off of oil pan, and about a foot away I see a two pin connector which I believe is the M50 sensor harness. Next time I have the car up I will see about making a connector between the two. I would be happy with just getting that functioning, that light is the only one that stays on on the check panel so really minor but I'm petty like that.

Comment

When I did my swap harness it was mandatory for me that everything worked as it originally did. I can understand why it would bother you that it doesn't work. Should I expect a response in 2023? Lol.
              How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Haha, yeah I lag sometimes man. I've been making progress in a way, but only in determining that I need to do some more in depth tracing and testing. My ABS system is in place but does not kick in, and I figured out my o2 sensor is not getting or giving signal. Other than that everything else works except the fuse for power mirrors blows when used. I basically have to start checking out the swap related wiring under the dash and work from the top down. I need to see if these wiring aspects were connected and are now nonfunctional, or if they were just not done. I was planning to start by checking out the ecu connections and then work my way to engine harness connector and so on. At the moment trying to accumulate a list on paper of what wires to check for those systems.

Comment

Working...
                X