Garage security?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage security?

Police showed up at my house this morning. My neighbor had a break in last night. We are on a private road, and he lives past me. The guy runs a landscaping business, so I am willing to bet it was an employee. There's no through traffic, and we are very far off the main road. Whoever broke in knew what they were going for.

That said, I never even lock my garage. That changed today.

I've got a detached garage, and my bedroom window is facing the garage, about 30 feet from it. I don't need anything crazy, was thinking something like a motion sensor inside with a loud alarm and maybe cameras as well.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

even if you buy fake cameras and put them up everywhere, that would be an awesome deterrent.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Flood lights on motion detector, and faux security cameras = done. Dog is optional.

Comment

2nd on LED Flood lights with motion detect. We have them on every corner of the house, and we live on a corner street.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Security camera's wifi and dvr have come down drastically and improved. Just saying and if your going to put up video surveillance you might be required to post a sign saying your being recorded.

Garage door as you know is the easies door to break in unless you have a lift that uses the jackshaft.
          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Thanks for the tips. PO actually setup the garage with motion lights that are capable of flooding my entire yard with light. Most are burned out, I think I'll go ahead and upgrade them now.

As to the garage itself, my main concern for break in would be the back door. I might have to do something there. I don't have powered door openers on the garage doors, and they are locked up with a bar and padlock from the inside.

I spoke with the neighbor a bit yesterday, and he is pretty sure it's an inside job. They left obvious things of value, and targeted a safe he had hidden in the corner of his garage. Then something must have spooked them because they left it in the middle of the floor and only made off with 2 saws. Regardless, even if it was an inside job, that means someone who is less than honest drives past my house every day.

Through our conversation it seems my dog might have been what scared them off. At about 3:30-4am he started freaking out so I let him outside but didn't think anything of it. We have a verbal agreement in the neighborhood and all the dogs are allowed to run wild, nobody is bothered by it so he frequently goes to visit the neighbors house anyway.

My lab has a big soft heart, but he has shown me a few times that he can be quite menacing if someone shows up at times that he doesn't feel they should be there. Wish I could see through his eyes when I let him out the other night....
            No E30 Club
            Originally posted by MrBurgundy
            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
              I've got a detached garage, and my bedroom window is facing the garage, about 30 feet from it. I don't need anything crazy, was thinking something like a motion sensor inside with a loud alarm and maybe cameras as well.

Anyone have any suggestions?

1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
              1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
              E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Working...
              X