Euro Smileys.. Halogen, HID or LED?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro Smileys.. Halogen, HID or LED?

Just got a set of Bosch smileys and before installing them I want to buy a set of bulbs but unsure of what to go with. At first I was thinking of some ebay LED's but idk if that would be the best with output/good cutoff. Any info would be great and also what set up are you using if you have euro smileys ? Thanks.
    FS: Plug n Play Second Trunk Light !
    My Parts for Sale Thread~

x 1984 325e 2.7i ~ CastroMotorsport Built x Daily Driven

I use Narva 55W Rangepower+ halogens in my low and high beams and visibility is more than adequate with low or high beams on. No beam pattern issues, no ballasts, and no need to modify the housings. But if you like that stuff, go HID or LED I guess.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Halogens or a good HID kit will work fine in ellipsoids. I would avoid buying ebay anything in the lighting department. If you're going to bother at all, get something that's going to work and last for awhile - VVME, XenonDepot, and TheRetrofitSource all sell decent equipment at different price points.

I'm not a fan of LED conversions - look at where the emitters are and how beam geometry would work compared to the hot spot is on a halogen or HID bulb. HIDs have some deficiency in a halogen reflector; LEDs are quite a lot worse.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

I will second everything gear head said. I am trying to get my ML350 H7 halogen projectors to be anywhere near as bright as my E30 that's running a set of Mercedes Xenon HID's. I have tried both eBay LEDs and a HiD kit. Both are total crap. I may just have to hack up my ML's lamps to accept the factory Xenons bulbs since I've scored another set.
        You say "Where are your other two cylinders?"
        I say "Where's your other camshaft?"
        Frankenmotor: if an M42, M44, M20, S50, and S52 were to have a kid.

Comment

Working...
        X