iX Random Thoughts/ Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
    It detects if the wheels locks up during engine braking, and if they do the ECU raise the engine rpm to let the wheels get rolling again :)
    Its like a ABS system for engine braking!
    Good to know. I've probably used that feature before but never noticed it.

Speaking of engine braking, I've always wondered why an iX seems to have more of it when letting off of the gas than other vehicles. Like a chevy pick up for example, you let off the gas and it seems to just coast and not slow down a bit.

It is engine compression or driveline/ mix there of?
    sigpic

Comment

Automatic or manual?

Comment

What do you mean? The system is present on both. Afaik ot only uses the brake switch on automatics.

Personally, mine is removed and i never missed it.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Random?

Do chickens look both ways before crossing the road?

I once hit a chicken with my ix. The fat little fucker took out a fog light and my is lip. He ended up under the driver's side wheels. It was like someone popped a balloon full of Bllod feathers and gizzards. Wasn't even worth making soup out of him.

Come to think of it, ive hit a few good sized birds with an airplane too. You've all heard the joke about the last thing going through a bug's mind when he hits your windshield is his asshole? Well, I'm pretty sure the same thing applies here too.

Here is what it looks like when a seagull bounces off the cowling of a cfm before having the misfortune to deflect inside the engine.

How's that for random?
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            What do you mean? The system is present on both. Afaik ot only uses the brake switch on automatics.

Personally, mine is removed and i never missed it.
            An automatic Chevy pickup is going to be in top gear with the converter unlocked in most around town driving situations... that's a very low engine braking configuration. Manufacturers do that deliberately to game the EPA highway cycle test.

Comment

ok? what does that have to do with the ix?

the mercury switch has no other function, yet it's present on both AT and MT - so BMW must have thought it was useful for something. The AT doesn't lock the torque converter until 55mph anyway, and it doesn't shift like a '90s GM pickup truck..
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by aaron325ix View Post
                Speaking of engine braking, I've always wondered why an iX seems to have more of it when letting off of the gas than other vehicles. Like a chevy pick up for example, you let off the gas and it seems to just coast and not slow down a bit.

It is engine compression or driveline/ mix there of?

Comment

Is the iX block the same as the Z1?
                  Build Thread
                  https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
                  Parts Thread
                  https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
                    Is the iX block the same as the Z1?
                    Supposedly
                    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

i have only had my abs open the throttle once, it was pretty unnerving to be honest, i suppose if you got used to it, it would be ok.
                      Megasquirt>weird abs system lol

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                        Random?

Do chickens look both ways before crossing the road?

I once hit a chicken with my ix. The fat little fucker took out a fog light and my is lip. He ended up under the driver's side wheels. It was like someone popped a balloon full of Bllod feathers and gizzards. Wasn't even worth making soup out of him.

Come to think of it, ive hit a few good sized birds with an airplane too. You've all heard the joke about the last thing going through a bug's mind when he hits your windshield is his asshole? Well, I'm pretty sure the same thing applies here too.

Here is what it looks like when a seagull bounces off the cowling of a cfm before having the misfortune to deflect inside the engine.

How's that for random?
                        I can dig it. I only fly C 172's so we generally try to stay away from the birds I kinda want to fly through a massive flight of canadian geese and see what happens though...(could use less of those fuckers anyway)

On a side note, my ix doesn't have any clutch switches since I swapped from an auto to manual, but do I really need them, besides forgetting to hold the clutch in on start?
                        89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                        I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Even with the switches it doesn't have any clutch lockout. One of the switches is for cruise control cancel, no idea what the other one's for.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatM20Guy View Post
                            I can dig it. I only fly C 172's so we generally try to stay away from the birds I kinda want to fly through a massive flight of canadian geese and see what happens though...(could use less of those fuckers anyway)

On a side note, my ix doesn't have any clutch switches since I swapped from an auto to manual, but do I really need them, besides forgetting to hold the clutch in on start?
                            Not its fine. Just dont push in the clutch with cruise control engaged. Inever hooked mine up and i did the swap 11 years ago.

The second switch is for ABS. Also not really that important.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                            X