Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4HP22/24 Auto trans build for iX

My dad has an '88 iX automatic.
    He scored a deal on a S52B32 and we have the intention of swapping it into the iX.
    We can use the E53 M54 oil pan, pump and pickup, with a 3.64 front diff from a E53 M62. I already have a 3.64 viscous in E30 case with E36 rear cover.

Obviously, there's the different in engine angle. BMW never put a 4HP22 or 24 behind a 24V engine, either, so no factory bellhousing will work.

There's a wire EDM where my dad works, so we're handling the bellhousing angle difference like this:

I think there's still some more detail to be paid to the welding in terms of closing up crevices to prevent corrosion, but this is the 90% solution.

The transmission itself is another matter. I've heard that the 4HP22 can easily be built for the S52. I've also read in a rebuilder article (which I can't find at the moment) that the only real difference between the 4HP24 and 4HP22 is that the 24 has a larger direct clutch. A brief look through www.realoem.com shows that the iX case is not shared with RWD E30's, but *IS* shared with E34 and E32 models. There are also plain and electro-hydraulic (EH) versions of each case. Euro E30's had the EH transmission as an option, while that was reserved for the 5's and 7's in the US.

It shouldn't be hard to build an iX 4HP24... but I'd *also* like it to be EH. Does anyone know what the difference is between the base transmission and the EH case? I @$$ume that they use the same casting, but the EH case just has an extra port for the electrical connector machined into it.

Thoughts?

Nice work on the bellhousing. Are you going with a stock trans rebuild and a shift kit, or is the build going to be more extensive? I still have a shift kit for these things, once bought it for my vert but ended up 5 speed swapping instead. Are you going to mod the torque converter too?
    Euro car and parts export business based in the Netherlands, specialized in E30 Tourings!

Instagram: @garage30_ WWW.GARAGE30.NL

Comment

GDMF forum doesn't subscribe me to threads I start. WTF?

Probably a stock 4HP24 build with shift kit. Not sure about the converter yet, as the S52 makes WAY significantly more torque than the M20, as well as better low end thanks to the VANOS and will already result in a higher stall speed.

4HP24 is overkill for that engine, but it'll be fun to build and bullet proof at that power level.

Comment

Yeah good point on the stall speed. Cool build though. Would be even sweeter if you threw a snail on that S52 and slay everything :)
        Euro car and parts export business based in the Netherlands, specialized in E30 Tourings!

Instagram: @garage30_ WWW.GARAGE30.NL

Comment

That certainly has crossed my mind... an AWD automatic turbo car would be an unbeatable bracket racer and quite capable stop light grand prix car

Comment

Working...
          X