House call mechanic on the Eastside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House call mechanic on the Eastside?

My e30 isn't currently running and is stuck sitting in my parents driveway for the moment. I'd rather not tow the car to a shop as this seems like an unnecessary step if I can get someone to come to me.

Can anyone recommend a local shop or mechanic on the Eastside (redmond area) who will come out and diagnose the issue? I'm hoping the issue isn't major and thus I'd be able to fix it myself or with some help.

Thanks!
    '91 Brilliantrot 318iS - Sold
    '95 e34 s50 Touring - P/O
    '87 Alpine White 325iS - Current

Why not diagnose it right now, online? Lots of smart people here who know the cars inside and out.
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

I tried asking in the M20 engine subforum, got little to no response. And the 2 answers I got was something I'm not willing to do (The DIY guide mentioned it was potentially dangerous, as in death is the worth case scenario). It involved using a positive wire from the firewall and connecting/touching it to the starter motor. Not sure how accurate that is, but I'm not taking chances myself as I'm not the most mechanically skilled person. When it comes to electrical and wiring issues I'd rather leave it to someone who truly knows what they are doing.

Comment

Just be careful that the callout fee for someone to come to your house might be the same or more than the cost to tow it to a shop. If you truly need someone to work on it then just tow it to an auto electrician.

Comment

Is the starter just not functioning or what? If it's stuck, you might be able to try having someone hold the key in the "start" position while you hit the starter with a blunt object.
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Beastolizer View Post
            I tried asking in the M20 engine subforum, got little to no response. And the 2 answers I got was something I'm not willing to do (The DIY guide mentioned it was potentially dangerous, as in death is the worth case scenario). It involved using a positive wire from the firewall and connecting/touching it to the starter motor. Not sure how accurate that is, but I'm not taking chances myself as I'm not the most mechanically skilled person. When it comes to electrical and wiring issues I'd rather leave it to someone who truly knows what they are doing.

All my tips are dangerous. All of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
              Is the starter just not functioning or what? If it's stuck, you might be able to try having someone hold the key in the "start" position while you hit the starter with a blunt object.
              TL; DR For about 2 or 3 months, the starter was having a strange issue. It would never start immediately and would crank for about 2-3 seconds. However, it always ended up turning over and the car would fire up (West Werks in Redmond said they didn't know what problem was). One night I get in the car (It was one of those freezing nights in the mid-high 20's), turn the key over and the car starts to make this strange electrical buzzing kind of noise coming from engine bay. I try to take the key out, but that does nothing. The noise keeps going, along with the dash lights still on. Putting the key in the ignition and taking it out does nothing to stop the noise. As I'm trying to disconnect the battery, the noise begins to change and become more accelerated. Before I can disconnect the battery, whatever was making the noise "bursts" and a tiny puff of smoke comes from the engine bay and the noise stops immediately. And that's where I'm at right now. So my first though is that it could be the starter motor?

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
              Just be careful that the callout fee for someone to come to your house might be the same or more than the cost to tow it to a shop. If you truly need someone to work on it then just tow it to an auto electrician.
              My first thought is that it's the starter motor, which I have a friend willing to help me change it out if that's the case. I don't want to tow it down to a shop to have them diagnose the problem as something I can fix with some help then have it re-towed back to my place. Tow trucks aren't cheap. It cost me $100 to move the car about 2 miles when this incident happened. I imagine a house call is going to be less than the $200 round trip of towing to and from a shop + that shops fee for inspection.

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
              All my tips are dangerous. All of them.

That wasn't meant as a slight or low blow to your advice at all. I researched a few DIY threads on how to test out the starter motor and realized I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do that (2 of them mentioned it being somewhat dangerous). I'm not ashamed to admit I'm no Mr. Grease do it all himself mechanical genius. Especially when it comes to wiring and electrical work. I'm awful with that stuff. Rather than risk any damage to me or the car, I simply prefer to pay an expert to do it.

Comment

I didn't take it like that at all. Here. Maybe this will help you out.

Disconnect the battery, then disconnect the starter, reconnect the battery and see if that noise you were talking about goes away. That might help you rule out the starter, or point right at it.

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                  I didn't take it like that at all. Here. Maybe this will help you out.

Disconnect the battery, then disconnect the starter, reconnect the battery and see if that noise you were talking about goes away. That might help you rule out the starter, or point right at it.

The noise is permanently gone because whatever was making it "blew up." Read my previous post to Austin where I explained what happened.

Comment

Working...
                  X