Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEED HELP! 85 325e won't start! No spark from the coil!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEED HELP! 85 325e won't start! No spark from the coil!

Hey everyone I'm need of some help! The other day my 325e would not start at all. It cranks over perfectly it's getting fuel but no spark. I've replaced distributior cap, Rotor, ignition coil, spark plug cables, crank position sensor and still nothing. I've checked the main relay switch and fuel pump relay and they both work fine. But still no spark

Have you checked your fuses? Is your ignition coil properly grounded? Is your engine ground good?
    AWD > RWD

Comment

ecu
      93 E30 325ic BrilliantRot M20B25 TCD S2+ GS637BZ CT3582R MS2

Bought from or sold to me?
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=200290

Comment

ecu probably took a fat dump, or you have a shit ground somewhere. Do you have juice going to the coil?
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Look at your crank shaft sensor wire where it runs behind the water pump pulley. There are supposed to be two little clips that hold this wire to the timing cover. They often get broken during a timing belt job. The wire then rubs against the back of the pulley causing it to wear through the insulation.
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

My fuses are good. The crank sensor is in good shape as well but my ground cables do look a little worn so that could be an issue I'll definitely check that but I'm trying to source a ecu to test as well

Comment

I'm also getting power to the ignition coil side terminals but nothing out of the center main lead

Comment

Check the ground side of the coil while cranking and your battery voltage while cranking. If those two numbers are the same, then either your ECU is bad or the wire in between the ECU and the coil is bad.
                sigpic

Comment

If that's that's the case then my ecu might be bad then since I'm getting the same voltage on both sides and the coil is brand new

Comment

That has to be while cranking, that test tells you nothing if you just have the key on and the engine off.
                    sigpic

Comment

I didnt test that while cranking so I'll have to check tomorrow.

Comment

This is all you need:

1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

There's two "crank sensors"
                          On an eta you have a sped and reference sensor, check them both, if they are good it could be a flywheels issue causing a poor reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                          X