DIY: Hydraulic Handbrake Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Hydraulic Handbrake Install

A hydraulic handbrake is a great upgrade for drifting and rally racing. This system taps into your existing brake system to utilize hydraulic fluid to close the rear calipers when you pull the lever. If you plan to keep your car street able than DO NOT remove the factory handbrake.

Parts needed:

-Universal Hydro Handbrake from ASD 16” 5/8 cylinder with hardware kit(This is the proper sized cylinder for the factory e30 brakes)
    -2 sections of 3/16” brake hard line( 5-10ft each depending on prior experience making flares. I recommend getting more if you have not flared a brake line before so you can practice)

Ordered from JEGS:

#555-100385 -3AN tube nut for 3/16 line
    #555-100395 -3AN tube sleeve for 3/16 line
    #555-63085 3/8”-24 union (x2)
    #555-63089 3/8”-24 nuts

Special tools:

-Double flaring kit(only use double flares)

-3/16 pipe bender http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-pipe cutter http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Okay lets get started. This application of a Hydro handbrake will put the handbrake in line with the rear brakes. All we are doing here is cutting the 3/16” line that runs underneath the driver side of the car, plumbing a line to the inlet of the hydro handbrake, and plumbing a line from the hydro handbrake, back to the line underneath the car.

First we need to mount the hydro handbrake. This is going to be different between everyone depending on if you will be using your center console, what shifter you are using, etc. For me the easiest way was to place the front mount on one of the AKG baseplate bolts, and using a bracket to come off of the rear baseplate bolt. Figure out the best way for you, weather it be drilling into the transmission tunnel, or welding a plate to mount it on. BE MINDFULL of clearing your shifter, factory ebrake, seat, steering wheel, etc when installing.

Bending and cutting the 3/16” hard line is also another part you will need to freestyle, depending on where your handbrake is. Generally start by drilling two holes in the floor. Take your brake hard line and make a u-bend up near the hydro handbrake, then place the tubing through the floor and continue making your bends until you are roughly where you will make your cut on the original brake line underneath the car.

IMPORTANT: You will create one line coming from the FRONT of the car to the REAR fitting on the handbrake. The next line will go from the FRONT fitting on the handbrake to the REAR brakes. This is something that a lot of people get confuse about, it is a little counterintuitive but that’s just the way it is.

Now cut the hard line to the approximate length you think will be best, and remove them from the car to start making your flares.

MASTER DIAGRAM:

TO MAKE THE FLARES: Honestly the best way to learn is youtube, search for brake line double flare and you will find plenty of videos. A video will explain things a million times better than words and pictures. If you have never flared brake lines before I recommend you get some extra hard line to practice and get a feel for what you are doing.

TIPS: PLACE THE NUT ON THE LINE BEFORE YOU FLARE IT, OR ELSE YOUR GONNA HAVE A BAD DAY!

USE BRAKE FLUID TO LUBRICATE THE TOOL WHEN MAKING THE FLARE, MAKES IT MUCH EASIER.

YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE TWO FLARES UNDERNEATH THE CAR, GET SOMETHING TO SUPPORT THE TOOL AS YOU MAKE THE FLARS SO YOU DON’T BEND THE LINES TOO MUCH.

FOR THE FLARES AT THE HANDBRAKE: This is where you will be using the #555-100385 -3AN tube nut as well as #555-100395 -3AN tube sleeve. The nut goes on first, then the sleeve, then create the flare.

FOR FLARES AT THE FACTORY LINES: You will use 555-63089 3/8”-24 nuts and the #555-63085 3/8”-24 union to make your connections.

Here are my two unions finished.

Fittings at the handbrake.

The final step is to bleed your brakes exactly like normal, then go do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUyfiIW_TkA
    If anyones has any questions feel free to pm me.
    Last edited by Jezza; 09-03-2013, 08:57 AM.
    E-9 Motorsports

Supported by:
    Insane Innovations LLC
    DTMFiberwerkz
    Achilles Radial

Great writeup! Thanks for posting this up, ive had a handbrake laying around for almost a year.. Now i have no excuse for it not being installed..
    sigpic

Comment

Its so worth it, get it done!
      E-9 Motorsports

Supported by:
      Insane Innovations LLC
      DTMFiberwerkz
      Achilles Radial

Comment

This might be a silly question, but does the MC on the hand brake stay open so that the foot pedal can still control the rear brakes as well? Hopefully that makes sense.
        sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Yes pretty much. When on the foot brake, the hand brake is pressurized.
          E-9 Motorsports

Supported by:
          Insane Innovations LLC
          DTMFiberwerkz
          Achilles Radial

Comment

Originally posted by Jezza View Post
            Yes pretty much. When on the foot brake, the hand brake is pressurized.
            Got ya, not three or 4 weeks ago I was talking about his with my buddies but they didn't think it would work.

As long as it doesn't effect my brake bias with the pedals this will be in my car!! Great write up man!
            sigpic

Comment

I'd like to see you properly suggest some rubber isolation grommets where the hardlines pass through the body to the exterior/underside of the car, but otherwise, great writeup!

Comment

With this tied into your main line, what seemed to be the easiest way to bleed the system?

Doooaaahhhh

Nevermind...........
                sigpic

Comment

I totally want a hydraulic handbrake for no reason...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                  Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

^^^^ same!

i love the look of it but I would have zero use for it haha

mtech1/2jzgte/r154/275tire
                    function>form

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                      handbrake turns = getting all da womens
                      so with an hydraulic handbrake you would be rolling in women (probably)
                      88 325is Five Speed
                      Lachssilber

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                        Same lol. I like having ABS though. Good write up OP.
                        The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                        Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                        2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                          Same lol. I like having ABS though. Good write up OP.
                          Could keep your abs...only time it would kick in is if your on the brakes while on the handbrake.

Ill be doing this myself this week, id def use some grommets on the floor. Also maybe some clips to hold the lines from rattling around.

I also purchased this

Get the Best Performance with JEGS Right Front Brake Line Shut-Off Valve 631600 parts at JEGS. Shop Now at the Guaranteed Lowest Price!

Why? Basically for kick ass burnouts when required ;)

Tapped into the rear line, turn on valve, now any brakes applied will be going to just the front calipers and i could do some hooning wihout cooking my rear pads.
                          Last edited by FLG; 03-19-2013, 01:09 AM.
                          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Why did you use a double flare, instead of keeping with the rest of your braking system that uses a bubble flare?
                            Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

hmm...I think I have to bookmark this thread..........
                              Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
                              Track/street e21 build
                              visit Condor Speed Shop
                              visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Working...
                              X