resurfacing head. is .008 too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

resurfacing head. is .008 too much?

My machine shop told me that my m20 i head need to resurface the head at .008. Is it doable or I need new head? I think .006 was the max. any thoughts will be appreciated.
    sigpic
    327is
    325es
    325es
    318is
    Fiesta ST
    E46 M3

Originally posted by dsphil View Post
    My machine shop told me that my m20 i head need to resurface the head at .008. Is it doable or I need new head? I think .006 was the max. any thoughts will be appreciated.
    you should be ok. there are 3 dimples on the bottom of the head. if they are gone then you will need to get a thicker gasket.
    Much wow
    I hate 4 doors

Comment

.005-.010 is pretty standard for decking a head. You should be fine.

Comment

I always thought that you could only shave until the "shave dot" is completely flush with the rest of the head (gone).

circled in red here:

any more and you need a thicker gasket.
        FS NY: two Audiobahn A235HC amps and audiobahn 1farad capacitor
        Saab/GM tech2 programming
        My for sale thread
        1990 325iX for sale or part out
        Did you buy something from me? Please leave feedback!

Originally posted by K20RI_211
        And I have to ask if you make a hobby out of thread-bombing with retarded questions?

Comment

.008 is like, just a mild polish... You're in good shape.

You CAN cut it as much as you want- it's just that you then have to make sure all
          the rest of the stuff is ok (valve clearance and timing, compression, etc)

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

For some reason they think is too much. I told them to proceed and I will have to get a thicker head gasket. Will see what it was like when I pick it up. Thanks for the inputs.
            sigpic
            327is
            325es
            325es
            318is
            Fiesta ST
            E46 M3

Comment

I have taken an M20 head down that far with no issues after a timing belt tensioner failed.

You should be fine.
              Summer '85 E24 635csi Winter '88 E30 325iX, I lose 25% of my hp before I even turn the key.

Comment

I think some Pro3 guys shave it down like .015" or some crazy amount. At that point though, the head is one time use only.

Comment

You're good!!
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                  IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

jeeze, I run M10 2002 heads cut 0.100" in the race car just as a matter of course-

I can't see such a mild cleanup making enough statistical difference to notice on an M20.

It's just not that much...

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I have a little concern about this machinist now. They are telling me that the head is warped and they are putting it in the oven before they can resurface it. When they said oven, they don't mean cleaning it.
                      sigpic
                      327is
                      325es
                      325es
                      318is
                      Fiesta ST
                      E46 M3

Comment

Yeah, you can heat and twist a head to try to straighten it.

I could never figure out how...

t

Comment

Heat can release internal stress from manufacturing that will cause warping
                          “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

My S14 head was straightened in the oven then surfaced, don't remember how much,
                            88 M3 Lachsliber glass top, 90 IS project,

Comment

All these stuffs the machinist said is new to me. Maybe I shouldnt worry too much.
                              sigpic
                              327is
                              325es
                              325es
                              318is
                              Fiesta ST
                              E46 M3

Comment

Working...
                              X