1989 325ix Dinan Turbo stablemate for my 1988 E24 M6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stuffy View Post
    Replace that timing belt with a new gates racing belt while you have the head off.
    This is pointless. It's like using arp head studs on a otherwise stock engine. You can go with whatever but the oe belt works great, either way you have to change it during the stock interval as far as I know.

Side note: They look great together! The iX is going to be stunning when finished.
    Build Thread
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
    Parts Thread
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Originally posted by Stuffy View Post
      Replace that timing belt with a new gates racing belt while you have the head off.
      I didn't mention or outline them because the below work already been done before I decided to pull the head to address the exhaust and turbo components.

Full timing belt service and all related items replaced
      Water pump replaced
      All front and rear complete breaks repalced, including the sensors
      4 new tires, I will order a matching 5th to replace the spare.

Max

Comment

Can anyone recomend a head gasket? If you haven't read the whole thread its a Dinan turbo engine. Any reason I should not go with the OEM unit? If there is something better I am willing to consider it. I don't want to use cheap aftermarket or chineese knock-offs.

Thank you

Max

Comment

Small update....

Its taking a little longer than I expected to get the mechnicals in order. Thought I'd have it on the road by now but thats ok, there is more to do than expected or planned but at least I (I mean Steve) is doing it right. Turns out that after the head was removed for the purpose of servicing the exhaust manifolds and Dinan related exhaust componants (it was the only way to access it all properly) it was discovered that the valves were not 100% with a very very slight leak of fuel on cylinder 5 and one other so the only righ thing to do is service top end. Sent the headt to a machine shop that works on race cars to make certain its true and flat, free of imperfections and do the valves and valve guides. The head is supposed to be ready after this weekend.

Also Steve found the heater valve had corrosion on the right corner and left side indicating a leak so thats getting replaced.

All good and I can't wait untill its running like it did back in 1990 when it rolled out of Dinan in CA. More updates to come soon.

Max
          Last edited by Max325ix; 02-18-2017, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Amazing car and build! Dinan E30's, especially IX's, are something special imo. Congrats!

Comment

Update

Progress continues.

As always doing more than expected... Having the top end rebuilt.

Here are some before pictures.
              Attached Files

Comment

And here are the after pictures.
                Attached Files

Comment

More pictures & more progress

Ended up using cvjaxels. It was $269 each not including shipping. They only charged $10 to ship it back. After inquiring with a few places on the process, parts used and warranty offered we decided to go with them. It took them a few days. My mechanic said it looks perrfect and original, not just a fresh coat of paint and boot.

As we (again really Steve, my mechanic) continue to go through the mechanical's it was discovered that the thermostat housing has a small hole so a new one along with the cover and o-rings etc has been ordered. Naturally both the coolant and water temp sensors are being replaced as well.

The head is back on the block. I am still looking to source a late model valve cover if anyone's got one as mine is semi polished and I'd prefer the OEM finish. It needs to be in original near perfect condition.

Steve decided to go ahead and put on a racing timing belt even though the timing belt and water pump service was done just before I bought the car. I had asked him to check what type of belt was used. This was the message I got from him "Upon further inspection the car did not have the racing timing belt on it, it does now. I just couldn't say not going ahead and doing it completley right considering the extra stress and the small amount of extra cost overall." Additionally I checked some of the old papers and log book that came with the car, according to notes from Dinan it suggested amd I quote "Go 15,000 miles on timing belt (Use aftermarket belt - Heavy Duty) so glad he decided to change it

Pic of the thermostat housing, some of the neat turbo items Dinan used, and injectors etc are below.

Both idel hoses were found to be cracked, those will get replaced.

Break lines are getting replaced too. Trying to decide on OEM or stainless steel.

Front struts serviced and new bilstien inserts plus new rear shocks.

I decided I wanted the rear subframe bushings done. Removing the rear subframe has proven to be very difficult. He had to cut the bushings, then drill fine holes in the aluminum and use an air chisel to get the old units out.

Rear bearings will also get replaced once we are removing everything.

Injectors got tested, a good cleaning, and kind of a mini restore plus new seals.

As per my mechanics research,
                  "Seems the turbo Dinan used is some obscure 1 year only Mazda turbo. May have to make the gaskets. Turbo is an
                  IHI RHB6. Will most likely get sheet copper of the correct thickness and make. One of the few mentions I found in 2007 no less , parts not available , but they were looking for hard parts, but no luck finding gaskets yesterday and tonight".

I'll upload the pics of the turbo etc and keep this updated.

I need to give my mechanic Steve a some recognition here. He's been really great in his review of the mechanicals. Resourceful when its needed. He does his own reasearch rather than just guess or accept something that may be questionable. With this Dinan car thats been really important. I am verry happy the car is in his hands.

My goal is to have this E30ix as close as possible to like it was back in 1990 after Dinan finished its conversion so that I can experience it the way it was meant to be. I can't wait to drive it...

Max
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Max325ix; 02-18-2017, 07:34 PM.

Comment

More pictures- the old school Dinan Turbo

Here are pictures of the injectors as a before, midway, and after.

Also, the Dinan (one year only unique Mazda Turbo) sourced Turbo. They liked to source hard to fund parts, makes it cool and unique but more difficult to service...

Max
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thats interesting....as of 1989, the FC RX7 was in service and turbo'd for 3 years...they did not change the turbo for the production year of RX7s - only the turbine housing from a single scroll to twin scroll... The only other car I believe Mazda turbo'd at the time was the 323GTX?
                      325IX Build Thread
                      RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by driftxsequence View Post
                        Thats interesting....as of 1989, the FC RX7 was in service and turbo'd for 3 years...they did not change the turbo for the production year of RX7s - only the turbine housing from a single scroll to twin scroll... The only other car I believe Mazda turbo'd at the time was the 323GTX?
                        I am very familiar with and love those Mazda Rotary's. I've owned pristine low mile examples of a 1974 RX4 (a one year only model with the factory 13b as in 75 they changed the front facia), a 1990 FC Turbo II, and a 1993 FD RX7 Twin Turbo. I still hope to own a Cosmo 110 some day but I'm not fond of RHD cars. I very much regret selling my RX4 and 1990 FC RX7 Turbo II. The RX4 mostly as it was near perfect, I was the second owner and sold it in 2009 or 2010 with less than 28,000 miles if I recall. Blue exterior with white interior and no crack on dash or seat. No B pillar. When front and back windows were both down it had no inturuption with a B pillar, it was such a cool car.

The Dinan conversion for my car was commissioned in 1990 or 91 (I need to check the paperwork again) when it had 17200 miles by the first owner.

You are correct, for the USA in the 1989 model year Mazda only offered 2 Turbo models for thier own cars, the FC RX7 and that unknown little version of the normally basic 323, the 323GTX. The production of the FD RX7's had started in 1991 in Japan and I believe in Japan other turbo models were offered that the US did not see. Outside of thier own models, Mazda did supply components such as turbo units to other manufcatures which for thst era was not uncommon I don't have much more details at this time however, as I learn more about this car and its DINAN history I'll be sure to share.

Max
                        Last edited by Max325ix; 02-16-2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Cool car! I would love to see it in person if you could ever make it by WOT-Tech in Pompano Beach. We always have e30 projects here. :)

Sent you a PM about the valve cover...
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Very cool car!

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                              Cool car! I would love to see it in person if you could ever make it by WOT-Tech in Pompano Beach. We always have e30 projects here. :)

Sent you a PM about the valve cover...
                              I'd love to come by once its ready...probably another month before it ready and back in FL. My mechnic is in GA and hence the car is being worked on there....I might drive up there trailering my M6 to have him go through that one next and bring the ix back down myself.

I'll be reaching out about the valve cover.

Max
                              Last edited by Max325ix; 02-18-2017, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Read through the whole thread. This is awesome car and great work you've done to it. Thumbs up - keep up the good work !

Ps. I've got euro M6 and turbo ix too. :D

Comment

Working...
                                X