Different styles of BBS RS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different styles of BBS RS

I'm about to buy a brilliant red euro-spec pre-facelift vert, and I've been fantasizing about changing the style 10 wheels it has on.

In finding my favourite picture of a pre-facelift euro-spec red convertible, I've noticed for the first time that between BBS RS wheels, there are many variations that make me huge fans of some while uninterested in others.

Here's an example of as close to the vision of the car I have found so far with BBS RS wheels I love:

Here's an example of BBS RS wheels that I severely dislike:

I believe both wheels are 16" in diameter. Notice how the bolts on the red car's wheels are much closer to the outside of the wheel whereas the white car's bolts are closer to the center of the wheel and its spoke design looks a lot more compact. If I am in the market for BBS RS wheels, is there nomenclature that will help me specify that I want a set of BBS RS that looks like the red car's wheels so that there is no confusion? I really don't want to end up with a set of BBS RS that looks like the white car's.

Thanks!

very possible the white vert's RS setup is 17". One modification you can make to 16" RS wheels is to buy 'up-conversion' 17" lips and barrels which use the 16" face. It makes the lips look super tall and the centers look much smaller. Also, as you mention, the white vert's wheels have small outer lips and bigger barrels, bringing the bolts closer towards the outside edge of the wheels, versus the deep dish on the red car.

i am no expert, but here is a quick rundown of whats all available for RS wheels.
    So many sets out there are not the original specs that they were sold in due to all these pieces being available to modify individual sets. Different combination of lips and barrels make for lower offset/higher offset, more lip/less lip, etc.

15"
    16"
    17"
    Barrels ranging from 5" to 8"
    Lips ranging from 0.5" to 5"
    Faces in every lug pattern imaginable
    Faces that are flat or faces that are convex (for lower offsets)
    'Up-conversion' 15 to 16" lips/barrels
    'Up-conversion' 16 to 17" lips/barrels
    'Up-conversion' 17 to 18" lips/barrels
    'Stepped' lips and 'slant' lips
    Gold/Stainless/chrome/all kinds of other finish wheel bolts
    Standard hex caps, 1/2 height hex caps, flat caps, conical caps

Don't worry, I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Comment

Ah that makes sense! The up conversions are probably what I'm not liking the look of. I'll make sure to steer clear. Thanks for all this info! Lots of good info here as a beginner :)

Comment

You gonna stretch tires and stance everything?

Comment

Boston roads and low profiles are going is a recipe for cracked lips.

BBS are modular as mentioned by straight6pwr. Easy to do mix and match as long as you budget allows for it.
          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Working...
          X