Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aftermarket top with zip in rear window?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here in Palm Beach County, FL. I'm looking for a new aftermarket replacement cloth top with a zip-in rear window. I assume BMW makes one, but it's probably crazy expensive.

My car is a 1992 e30.

I've checked this forum and the broader Internet and cannot find anybody offering aftermarket e30 tops with zippered windows. Does anybody have a distributor or manufacturer to suggest?

I'm also looking for a good local installer in the West Palm Beach area.

Thank you!

JG
    Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
    1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
    Palm Beach County

The zip in came in very late years so try searching 91-92 and see if you find one with a zipper. Robbins is a well,regarded after market top. I've had 2 by GAHH and they were ok. Seems they all unstitch at the cross bars in time...even the genuine BMW top I have now
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
      The zip in came in very late years so try searching 91-92 and see if you find one with a zipper. Robbins is a well,regarded after market top. I've had 2 by GAHH and they were ok. Seems they all unstitch at the cross bars in time...even the genuine BMW top I have now

Thank you Jeff. I put a Robbins Stayfast cloth top on my old Miata and loved it. Their site only shows fixed windows for e30s. I'll give them a call and see if I can get one custom made for a reasonable price.
      Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
      Palm Beach County

Comment

Bump.

Anybody have a top mfr to recommend?
        Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
        Palm Beach County

Comment

Curious as well.

All the aftermarket tops I can find have stitched window.
          1991 318iC
          1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

My upholstery amigo does some top notch work and recommended Gahh, said that's his first choice when searching for tops.
            Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

Gahh! Just checked their site, and all of their windows were sewn in too. This is starting to get annoying. Thank you for the suggestion, Streich...
              Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
              Palm Beach County

Comment

following as well, I am in need of a top in the next year or so

Comment

Has anyone reached out to the aftermarket suppliers to see if they will do a zip in window top for additional $$?
                  1991 318iC
                  1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

I need to call Robbins and ask. I'll post what I learn.
                    Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                    Palm Beach County

Comment

I called Robbins and EZ ON, neither makes nor are they willing to make a zipper window e30 top.

I could not find other manufacturers on the web offering one. Next step is to check on $$$$ OEM BMW offerings.

Has anyone else found any other options? Thank you.

JG
                      Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                      Palm Beach County

Comment

Originally posted by jgilber0 View Post
                        I called Robbins and EZ ON, neither makes nor are they willing to make a zipper window e30 top.

I could not find other manufacturers on the web offering one. Next step is to check on $$$$ OEM BMW offerings.

JG
                        You might be able to find a sew in zippable back window and have it sewn into a new top? I was going down that route, ended up finding a buyer for my vert before I could dig further into it.
                        Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

Originally posted by jgilber0 View Post

JG

Dammit!
                          1991 318iC
                          1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Streichholzschächtelchen View Post
                            You might be able to find a sew in zippable back window and have it sewn into a new top? I was going down that route, ended up finding a buyer for my vert before I could dig further into it.
                            Might work,. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.
                            Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                            Palm Beach County

Comment

Problem in trying to modify a top to take a sew in window it's that you need to find the other half of the zipper to attach to the top
                              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                              Alice the Time Capsule
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                              X