Tell Me My Suspension Set Up Will Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell Me My Suspension Set Up Will Work

I know this has been covered over and over but, I am looking for specifics regarding my intentions to help alleviate any apprehension about parting with $763.00

I own a 1990 vert with all stock suspension that I want to lower a bit. The car is a fare weather, weekend only, occasional commute to work car. I want lower but not low enough to worry about damaging my oil pan.

I am looking for a firmer but, not bone jarring ride.

My thought:

- H&R Sport Springs part #50407. $232.00
    - Koni Shock Front - Sport Series (86-2277SPORT) $153.00 each
    - Koni Shock Rear - Sport Series (80-2522SPORT) $112.00 each

The car has 116,000 easy miles.

Tires are 205/55-16 on Borbett Type C wheels
    1986 E30 325E
    1989 E30 325iX
    2003 E54 X5.
    1993 Mercedes W124 300E
    1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
    2009 VW Touareg
    2007 Porsche Cayman S

I don't know if those are the correct Koni part numbers or not but I think that setup sounds good and maybe add a 14.5mm factory upgrade rear bar and some inexpensive fixed camber plates such as the ones sold by Turner to make it even better.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

I got the part numbers for the shocks/struts from Bav Auto and ECS Tuning's sites. I won't get into the debate which is better, the Koni's or Bilsteins, as I feel for the small extra cost for the Konis I found that would be the way to go.

I have been taking into mind the altered camber and how to address it.
      1986 E30 325E
      1989 E30 325iX
      2003 E54 X5.
      1993 Mercedes W124 300E
      1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
      2009 VW Touareg
      2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

I went with the same springs and Bilstein Sports on my Cabrio.
        Tried and true combo, I can't imagine you will have any issues.

My car had 104K miles when I did the work. Everything was original and worn out.
        Plan on replacing RSMs, strut bearings, sway bar end links and bushings, FCAB's and ball joints at a minimum. I also did tie rods. I'm sure the RTABs and diff bushing are worn. I wasn't ready to tackle them this go around.

I added a X brace at the same time. Supposedly makes a big difference on the cabrio.
        1991 318iC
        1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Poorhouse View Post
          I went with the same springs and Bilstein Sports on my Cabrio.
          Tried and true combo, I can't imagine you will have any issues.

My car had 104K miles when I did the work. Everything was original and worn out.
          Plan on replacing RSMs, strut bearings, sway bar end links and bushings, FCAB's and ball joints at a minimum. I also did tie rods. I'm sure the RTABs and diff bushing are worn. I wasn't ready to tackle them this go around.

I added a X brace at the same time. Supposedly makes a big difference on the cabrio.
          You pretty much detailed everything I plan on doing in the near future. How big of a difference did you notice with the cross brace?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

BMW makes a stock offset upper strut mount. I have them on my cabby with h&r's and we used them on my sons car too. I highly recommend them as they don't have the harshness associated with aftermarket parts.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I added koni sports to my cabrio which already had h&R cabrio specific springs (I think 50406). It's a great ride only I went with sedan fronts since they are top adjustable and difference in compression is negligible.

It's one thing to twist to adjust the rears since I believe you can do that by just unbolting it at the bottom (haven't had to actually adjust them) but who wants to remove a strut housing to adjust the front.
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jotam3 View Post
                You pretty much detailed everything I plan on doing in the near future. How big of a difference did you notice with the cross brace?
                Haven't driven it yet. Waiting for the snow to melt. :(

This is with the H&R Cabrio springs. I think this is what the OP listed.
                I used E90 drophats due to my lighter M42.

I've got a set of refinished Euroweaves ready to go on after it is aligned.
                1991 318iC
                1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Does the x brace really help that much?

Comment

The reviews I read from Cabrio owners indicated it made a big difference.

I got the Garagistic piece on their Black Friday sale.

For that price I had to try it.
                    1991 318iC
                    1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

I fully plan on refreshing all the rubber (OEM BMW not poly is my preference) in the rear suspension but, my front has already been rebuilt.

What are these BMW offset strut mounts that you speak of? Do you have a part number or can I find them on Real OEM?

Good point on the top adjustable fronts but, the part number for the cabrio specific Koni's has a picture with it that shows them being top adjustable. I will have to ask if they are in fact top adjustable.
                      1986 E30 325E
                      1989 E30 325iX
                      2003 E54 X5.
                      1993 Mercedes W124 300E
                      1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
                      2009 VW Touareg
                      2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

Damn, those OEM offset strut mounts are pricey. $195.00 EACH on FCP Euro.
                        1986 E30 325E
                        1989 E30 325iX
                        2003 E54 X5.
                        1993 Mercedes W124 300E
                        1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
                        2009 VW Touareg
                        2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

Yeah my old setup was great for dd, But only one person could be in the car really and the Suspension was super soft (eibach pro kit) , paired with bilstein sports got better but not enough for my liking.

Everything I had tell me,
                          -Have GC's on my coupe, 1.5 shorten coil overs with there full setup. Great but too stiff for my likings. spring rates f650-r500 (poly everything)

-Now what have for my vert now. Non shorten, Koni's, and f400-r500 much better but very stiff still since I am running Touring camber plates, poly rear stock mounts. (oem Rubber)

Spring Rates make big different along with the rubber,poly or what ever you have.. Also got the x-brace and well worth the price. Makes driving the vert fun with out crazy cowl shake.

Comment

can you elaborate on this? I find it somewhat disturbing that people can say the following two thoughts in the same sentence

"my old set up was great for dd"
                            followed up by:

"but only one person could be in the car really"
                            I'm not trying to be a dick/smartass, but in what world is that a good DD? Does it bottom out or something when loaded up? I have KW V1 coils on my e46 sedan and I have no fear telling others that I would absolutely NOT recommend them for a daily driver.

What combo are you running that resulted in only one person being able to really be in the car? Curious as I am looking to cruise around in my vert fully loaded at times, and want to avoid any bottoming issues (fought with them in my e46 for a bit)

Comment

Just guessing here.

When I was researching my suspension set up the reviews of the Eibach e30 springs indicated they were to low and to soft which could result in bottoming out.
                              1991 318iC
                              1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Working...
                              X