Turbo M20 build: What should I know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo M20 build: What should I know?

Hello! So I'm planning on swapping an M20 into my 318is, and I've got a few questions before I do. So I found a good deal on a running M20 out of a 525i with about 100,000 miles on it. I was considering opening the engine up to refresh it a bit before committing to the turbo build, so what would you recommend I make sure I fix up? I'm considering putting on a new headgasket kit, replacing the timing belt, and that's it. I've never done a project like this before so I need all the help I can get. I plan on going with a KA motors turbo kit as I've heard good things about its reliability, and I'll be running it on lower boost for daily use. is there anything else that usually get's worn down around 100k that I should take a look at? And is there anything I should build up for the impending boost? I won't have a huge budget, but might be able to splurge on and extra couple of performance parts if need be.

Welcome!

I am just in the middle, or maybe I guess the end of my m20 turbo build. The KA Motors one looks good and from having pieced together my own kit, I'd highly recommend going the KA Motors route as it will probably end up actually costing less than piecing things together - I've learnt this the hard way, that being said I've also got some nice little extra's that wouldn't be included in a standard kit.

What I did when undertaking this was:

Remove head and all cooling system, timing belt, water pump, etc - I have my head rebuilt/refreshed and used a quality headgasket kit (I went with Elring purchased from Bimmerheads). Then replaced my timing belt and water pump using Gates brand parts.

I also added ARP head studs which from what people here say are essentially a MUST for turbo builds.

I replaced the alternator as it was super accessible with everything out, refreshed coolant hoses, replaced the radiator as it was already taken out and relatively cheap to purchase a new one and replaced my motor mounts with Garagistic 80a poly. I also replaced all my rubber bushings - tranny mounts, guibo, center bearing, etc to make sure they were in good shape and didn't fail with the extra torque of the car. Also replaced the two drive belts (removed A/C), replaced the crank position sensor, both coolant temp sensors, etc.

The engines loves boost and are relatively easy to work on, just make sure everything you take off and put back on is in good shape, I had to replace my head as a valve was cracked I wasn't aware of until taking it apart.
    Last edited by E30-Ellerman; 04-14-2017, 09:52 PM.
    2016 F-150
    1987 Royalblau 325es B25 turbocharged

Build thread here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=405594

Comment

This is extremely helpful, thank you! And are you following a guide or anything like that or are you just running off of experience and know-how? I've done a couple engine swaps in other cars before, but this will be my first turbo build and I plan on treading as carefully as possible.

Comment

What are you planning for management? Most run megasquirt 2 or 3/3x/3pro, but Ecumaster EMU would be really close in price to the 3x/3pro if your budget allows, and is amazing bang for your buck.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Definitely subbed

So other than ARP head bolts and new cooling systems internals, what about cylinder pressure checks? Since I'm new to this car, and turboing in general, I'm curious as to what the recommended levels are. Not to threadjack, but it is also something I'm considering for my car and doesn't seem addressed so far.

Comment

Working...
          X