No announcement yet.

M42 turbo fact thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone else experienced blow by? My stock M42 has been running about 8psi and just recently started to shoot oil out of the valve cover breather. I had it vented to atmosphere but now it is going to a catch can and it fills the can up pretty quickly when driving on track in boost. Should I try and route the other hose on the catch can to the turbo intake to get some vacuum in the crank case?? I have not done a compression test or leak down test yet. Just sorta curious if anyone else has experienced this issue.
    -Dee
    5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
    IG: @deebelmont

Comment

18psi and I never had excessive blowby to that extent. I just had a hose dumped under the car. I'm guessing you've either poor ring sealing because your engine is old and neglected or that with the beating and overheating of your drifting, the ring ends have butted together.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
        18psi and I never had excessive blowby to that extent. I just had a hose dumped under the car. I'm guessing you've either poor ring sealing because your engine is old and neglected or that with the beating and overheating of your drifting, the ring ends have butted together.
        Yeah my first thought was rings. I did have older oil in it that never changed from my last track day. I changed it this week and put some fresh VR1 20W-50 in it and drove it 2 hours and did a different parking lot event. I have a little oil in my catch can but after all day nothing compared to what I was experiencing. I think the 95* heat and beating on the car had something to do with it because even though the coolant hasn't been sky high the oil can be getting really hot. I have seen oil pressure as low as 9-10psi at idle on track so

I am thinking of doing a catch can setup that'll T off from the valve cover and pull vacuum from the turbo intake side, go to a catch can on the other side and the catch can will flow back into oil pan. Sorta like how the SR20 catch can setup is. Maybe that'll help.
        -Dee

Comment

subbing to this thread as I just picked up a 91 318I...

First thing I need to do is go through and see if this motor is healthy enough to boost...

Any big to-do items or red lights I should look for before dumping cash into this towards boosting?

And where are people getting thicker head gaskets? I got a whole new HG set, but now wondering if I should not have gone OE spec

Comment

I have a lot of blowby now, but I think I also holed piston number 1... was playing with timing and what worked on the street did not work at all on the track, probably due to intake temps or some temperature compensation parameter being tuned wrong.

eternal24k - as with anything, make sure the engine is in great shape before you start. Check the timing case, fix any leaks, fix any running issues. You'll save yourself a lot of pain if you start with a good base.

Many of us run stock head gaskets with head studs. Depends on how crazy you want to get with the boost.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Curious to know if anyone knows what the compression ratio is with the following cometic head gaskets:

0.098"
              0.120"
              0.140"

I want to drop my compression to about 8.5:1 - 9:1
              -Dee

Comment

Thought you guys might like to see this:

18psi 265whp

1986 Garrett turbo wouldn't blow any harder than 18psi.

DynoSource is proud to post up our customer Jon White's amazing build. Its a 1991 BMW 318is m42, 4 cylinder engine, Forged Internals, Turbocharger running Me...

We placed a new Borg warner s200sx on to see what it would do! Will run it HARD next week. Near 30psi.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by JRW21; 07-25-2018, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JRW21 View Post
                  Thought you guys might like to see this:

18psi 265whp

1986 Garrett turbo wouldn't blow any harder than 18psi.

DynoSource is proud to post up our customer Jon White's amazing build. Its a 1991 BMW 318is m42, 4 cylinder engine, Forged Internals, Turbocharger running Me...

We placed a new Borg warner s200sx on to see what it would do! Will run it HARD next week. Near 30psi.

More deets on this bish. Intake is what? Manifold?

Comment

Here are the down and dirty specs:

1991 BMW 318is
                    M42
                    Ms3 Pro
                    Bored/Stroked to 2.0 liter
                    Bottom End:
                    86.5mm Wiseco
                    m44 83.5mm Crank
                    Stock forged early model m42 140mm rods
                    ARP 2000 Main bolts
                    ARP 2000 Rod bolts
                    VAC coated Main Bearings
                    VAC coated Rod Bearings
                    Head:
                    Supertech dual valve springs, seats, and retainers SPR-H1000D/BM, SEAT-BM50, RET-K20a2/t2
                    Supertech 6mm black nitride coated Intake valves BMIVN-1030S
                    Supertech 6mm Inconel exhaust valves BMEVI-1030S
                    Supertech Keepers KPR-6S-7
                    BMW oem 6mm valve guides
                    VW 48gram Lifters p/n 050 109309
                    Cometic MLS 86.5mm .098" gasket
                    ARP 2000 Head studs

Audi red top Coils

Nuke fuel rail
                    Bosch 044 high pressure fuel pump
                    Surge tank w/low pressure fuel pump

Land Rover 3" throttle body
                    Meziere elecctric water pump
                    Mishimoto radiator
                    1995 M3 zf 310 transmission
                    323i throw out bearing
                    m5 240mm clutch & UUC light weight flywheel

1st Turbo:
                    1986 Ford Turbo Coupe Garrett T3 .63/.63 W/Modified Turbine

Compressor:
                    56mm Inducer
                    61mm Exducer
                    Tim 84

Turbine:
                    56mm Inducer
                    61mm Exducer
                    Tim 84

Manifold fabbed from two OEM m42 intake manifolds to create this:

Highlights:

Last edited by JRW21; 07-29-2018, 07:40 AM.

Comment

330whp/281 @ 25psi

Was hoping to run closer to 30psi and 350.

Comment

Last run set for tomorrow going to run 28-30 psi!��

..wish the m42 luck!

Comment

wow, that's awesome

Comment

Dyno Run #3 340whp/299 torque 26psi: 80lb/hr injectors @ ~90% duty cycle

Thats it for now, going to put this thing back together and drive it! However, its killing me not to upgrade the injectors to push further!

Comment

They're some good numbers for sure. Would be a lot of fun
                              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

wow almost 350whp for an M42 is pretty awesome but that torque number is also very impressive congrats dude you've been building this car for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if you upgrade the injectors you could maybe push to around 380whp.
                                -Dee

Comment

Working...
                                X