Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bullet Ride's M20 ITB Project: I can go with the flow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jute91
    yeah. Air flow should remain same direction. If you are going to install your ITBs upwards, its going to add curve that changes your air flow direction. Original manifold flange doesnt continue inline with ports..

bmw heads need this, expecially adding material to bottom of the ports

Looks like two of your attachments didn't make it
    Last edited by whodwho; 02-24-2013, 01:13 PM.
    My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
    4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

ahh, there is only one attachment? I had see the two other Xs and thought there were three.

That looks like an interesting read, what is that from?
      My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
      4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Here is another... that text is from " A. Graham Bell- 4-stroke performance tuning 3rd Ed. i got the 2nd edition on finnish book, but i downloaded 3rd on pdf via google search. it gives lot of ideas!
        Attached Files
        Also found on Facebook - Juuso Tero, Tampere
        https://www.facebook.com/JuusosGarage

Comment

Modified one of the tabs the other day. One side was removable so I was able to cut it and weld on a piece of sheet metal...

The tab on the other side will be a bit more difficult because it can't easily be removed.
          Last night I started prepping the manifold to get a couple runners tacked on for test fitment. I didn't get any pictures of that though.

Comment

what size are those?
            Also found on Facebook - Juuso Tero, Tampere
            https://www.facebook.com/JuusosGarage

Comment

Originally posted by jute91 View Post
              what size are those?
              The throttle bodies? I mentioned in the first post that they are 44mm.

Comment

So on Friday I gave a chunk of the manifold that I had cut off to the guy that's going to be doing the TIG welding for me (since I don't have my own machine yet). He wanted to play around with it to see how the cast aluminium welded...

Well that looks pretty f*cking ugly doesn't it...

That's because he was just playing around with it. I gave him a slice of the tube to try and weld to it....

That's more like it!

I also cut a piece at the 24 degree angle. I'm going to get it tacked on so that I can check clearances on the car...

That's all for now.

Comment

The welds nice and shiny just like it should be. Lookin good
                  sigpic
                  "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Wow this is awesome! I didn't get to read much as I am on my phone, but I did look through all the pics and I am very impressed. I have a few questions,
                    Do you plan to make this available for purchasing?
                    And also how is this gonna work with the ecu?

Awesome progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Pantless Spency View Post
                      Wow this is awesome! I didn't get to read much as I am on my phone, but I did look through all the pics and I am very impressed. I have a few questions,
                      Do you plan to make this available for purchasing?
                      And also how is this gonna work with the ecu?

Awesome progress.
                      This is a one off job unfortunately. If I was planning on producing these for purchase I'd build a manifold from scratch rather than hacking up and modifying a stock one. However I'm trying to build this in a way that should be fairly simple for others to replicate if they had access to simple machining equipment and a TIG welder.

I'm going to be using this on a car which is already running a stand alone EMS, so I shouldn't have any issues, other than potentially having to change over to a speed density/alpha-N hybrid fuel map.
                      Last edited by Bullet Ride; 06-19-2013, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Been patiently waiting for this thread :). Looks good so far. Can't wait to see the before and after results. I'm sure this build, like your stroker build, will be great reference for people in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerputzer View Post
                          Been patiently waiting for this thread :). Looks good so far. Can't wait to see the before and after results. I'm sure this build, like your stroker build, will be great reference for people in the future.
                          Thanks dude.

Comment

So I modified the other tab on the throttle body yesterday, it was a bit trickier since I had to weld it while it was still attached to the throttle body. It turned out ok, it ended up being a bit twisted after welding so I had to bend it a bit. However it seems solid and should work fine...

I was also talking to the guy who's going to be welding the manifold and he expressed concern that the manifold is going to get pretty hot and could end up twisting because there are some thin parts in what's left of it. So to avoid any issues with that I made a fixture out of a piece of 1/2" steel flat bar. I threw the piece of tube on there as well to give you guys an idea of what that will look like...

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 04-29-2013, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Wow, great work subscribing now.

Comment

Suscribed so I can give this thread the attention it deserves.... when i'm NOT at work. Keep up the good work Bullet. Your threads keep me motivated!
                                clutchCTRL!
                                Move with a purpose.
                                - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                                - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                                - 2000 323i AT
                                2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Working...
                                X