No announcement yet.

regular old m60 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firing on all 8. checked my spark plugs, they smell like old gas... draining the tank and have a fresh fuel filter in the waiting. Though i'm still weary of the condition of my coil packs. Got it to run for quite a minute today, but it took quite a bit of work with the throttle.

Comment

she idles! had a pretty serious fuel rail leak, bent the mounting tab to put more pressure on the fuel injector (temporary fix). the problem now is it doesn't rev over 2000ish (guess) rpm. i don't know if it's due to my older gas, or wiring, or mechanical. does the fact that i have an automatic harness change anything? currently i just have what i'm assuming is the transmission connector just dangling.

Comment

auto harness is fine as long as you dont connect the harness to anything.

how old is your gas? i have 3month old 91oct sitting in my s13. When I got it running, it misfired, wouldnt rev etc. I emptied the tank mostly, threw some fresh 91 in and it ran perfect. I would reccomend flushing the old gas out if its over a couple months old.
        We're in deep now boys
        1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
        1988 340iL - Track car
        My M60 V8 swap thread here
        [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
          auto harness is fine as long as you dont connect the harness to anything.

how old is your gas? i have 3month old 91oct sitting in my s13. When I got it running, it misfired, wouldnt rev etc. I emptied the tank mostly, threw some fresh 91 in and it ran perfect. I would reccomend flushing the old gas out if its over a couple months old.
          lol, older than 3 months that's for sure. going to drain the tank sometime in the next couple days.

Comment

Quick idle clip from when I first got it going. My v band on my passenger side manifold doesn't mate perfectly and I need to weld a muffler on lol. It kind of revs up at first, from what I'm assuming is fluctuations from the old gas, there's no throttle input. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/598f5180...074023_170.mp4

Will upload properly later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
            Last edited by dothadance; 08-12-2017, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Just drained my old gas. About 2.5 gallons of nice deep amber brown gas.

Comment

Installed fresh gas, runs the same and smokes like crazy! it doesn't smell like oil.. but idk. borrowed my brothers IR thermometer and my #5 cylinder is cold. Performed a stomp test and came up with code 1255 (#5 fuel injector). So i'm hoping my injector is just stuck open, hopefully running that old gas something just got stuck in there. With that being said, ever since i finished most of my exhaust i wondered if there was a left and right bank for the o2 connectors. (the 2 connectors are the same on the harness) Turns out, from what i've been reading, they are side specific and if you have them mixed up it will run like shit. so tomorrow i'm going to test fuel pressure, swap around fuel injectors and test codes, and swap my o2's around. wish me luck!

Comment

... stressing this smoke thing...

Comment

what color is the smoke? whats smoking? also check that plug on the dead cylinder
                    We're in deep now boys
                    1988 340iL - Track car
                    [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

what color is the smoke? whats smoking? also check that plug on the dead cylinder
                      White smoke. It doesn't really smell like burning oil... but it looks like my oil level has gone down, maybe it's because I'm parked on a hill tho. Checking fuel pressure, compression and plugs right now.

Comment

Driver side down pipe is covered in oil! I have a bunch it's from cylinder #5.

Comment

Cylinders 5 6 and 7. 180 psi. Cylinder 8, 90. Found the problem. I don't know wtf happened...[emoji17]

Comment

Ah shit........!

White smoke is generally oil.

Perhaps the rings are stuck from sitting?

How did you acquire the engine? Do you know any history?
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

did you figure out which side is which for the O2 sensors? both connectors on my harness were chopped off, I need to figure out which side is which before i solder connectors back on
                              We're in deep now boys
                              1988 340iL - Track car
                              [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                                Ah shit........!

White smoke is generally oil.

Perhaps the rings are stuck from sitting?

How did you acquire the engine? Do you know any history?
                                I have no idea what happened. But this isn't the first time I've compression tested it so this should have shown up last year! Not only that but there was no smoke until 2 days ago. Dont remember the history of the motor, I bought it so long ago, but I don't remember it being anything suspicious.
                                did you figure out which side is which for the O2 sensors? both connectors on my harness were chopped off, I need to figure out which side is which before i solder connectors back on
                                I swapped them earlier, no change. My stomp test stopped working (idk if its because I swapped the sensors) so I can't see if any codes changed.

Comment

Working...
                                X