Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 vs m52 help

Hey everyone,

So I'm currently in the middle of doing my research but I figured I'd post a thread to help get some answers faster.

What I'm wanting to know is for you turbo guys, why did you go with either the m50b25 or the m52b28 w/vanos. They seem like relatively the same motor aside from vanos, the 52s aluminum features, and obd1 vs obd2.

Was there something that aiding in your choosing one over the other. I'm also assuming the m50 would have greater availability, and maybe easier tuning without having to deal with the vanos. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might need to keep doing some research...Both the m50 and m52 have vanos (unless you are looking at a very early model m50). The m52 is not an aluminum block motor, and can have more displacement if you are getting a b28 vs the b25, which will likely allow it to spool a turbo faster and have a bit more torque out of boost. Europe got an aluminum 2.8, but we did not aside from potentially a few 2.8 z3's.
    Last edited by haaken675; 07-10-2017, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eastcoastcory View Post
      I'm also assuming the m50 would have greater availability, and maybe easier tuning without having to deal with the vanos.
      this is right at least in your case .. just put in a m52b28 crankshaft in the m50 and call it a day ..

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

Working...
      X