Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some rebuilt m20

Hey guys!

I came accross this m20 engine for sale. The owner of this m20 says that he invested over $7000 in the engine. I dont know about $7000 but im sure it costed at least $5000. He is asking $3000 for the engine, tranny, clutch, and all these items I dont need. I am pretty sure I can get it for $2000 with the engine, tranny, clutch and a momo steering wheel.

I went to see it and it looks like it is in great shape. It apparently only has 6000 kms on it,

The head is painted black, and so is the part where you put the oil,

It was all sent to a machine shop to be port and polished,

It has new Mahle stock OEM oversized pistons, and the engine is said to be bored out. The owner does not know how much the engine was bored out however,

The valves were also replaced with stock OEM ones, and the owner thinks that a 3 angle valve job was done,

The rocker arm was changed, stock,

The Crankshaft was changed, stock,

The engine mounts seem to be in great condition,

It also comes with a LSD transmission,

and a brand new stock clutch,

new head gasket ect...,

and I would get a momo steering wheel with it as well.

They guy seems like he does not really know what he has done to the engine. It looks in great shape but could anything be wrong? He claims he has all of the bills and I think I will go and have a look at them.

What do you guys think about this deal, and what do you suggest me doing?
    Vocino
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...o/MyCar051.jpg

do NOT drop 3g's on an m20 if you dont have proof of what all has been done.
    you can find lightly used m20's for ~400 and heavily rebuilt ones for 1.5k sometimes depending on options. get the head pulled first, IMHO.
    also, a tranny can not have a LSD title - that belongs with your differential.
    Brand new this and that doesnt mean shit if its stock. i built a "brand new" m20 with clutch for around 600 total. that included valves and machine work as well.
    srsly tho, 2k isnt that bad if its good working stuff. we are talking everything from throttle body to e-mannifold, from rad fan to tranny. but you should know whats in there for it to be worth it... unless you have money to throw around.

Comment

Cool, thx man. I want to see some proof too lol, he says he has the paper work and I want to see it lol. Is it hard to swap an m20 engine in a e30? I didnt think it would be since its the same engine?
      Vocino

Comment

easier than changing the tranny from under the car

Comment

"you can find lightly used m20's for ~400 and heavily rebuilt ones for 1.5k sometimes depending on options."

Fill me in as to where to find these deals!
          sigpic
          - 0.05s and 0.1s FTW!!!

Comment

I highly dought that he has that kind of money in that motor. He propobly only has $10 in it, couple cans of degreaser and some spray paint. Why is the head painted? and he ain't sure about alot of the stuff that is done to it? Ask for the bills and look at them. Also take the oil cap off and look inside the head. I think that $2000 is a steep price for a stock engine that the guy don't know what's done to it.

1992 BMW 325iC
            1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
            1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

ask for bills and go from there...but you are almost spending enough for m50 engine swap.
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

$2K CAN for an M20? Not unless the dyno shows it making 220HP or more...and that would be installed!

Pass on it, man. This is R3V.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Yeah , is that Canadian or US ?

And just like most already said , seems doubtfull that the engine really has all that work done when the owner can't say for sure what was done to it .

Pass .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Don't do it, unless you see all the bills. If someone has a motor rebuilt you can bet your ass they know how much over it is bored. the piston reciepts might have a part number that can tell you how much the engine is over.

Comment

When my engine was rebuilt, we just hand honed the cylinders cus they still looked almost perfect.

Will
                      RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                      Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                      DaveCN = Old Man
                      My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                      If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

alright thx for the opinions guys
                        Vocino

Comment

Working...
                        X