No announcement yet.

Buying a haus! (Ugh...PG. 9)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I ever build a haus, it would be 3 floors with an elevator and the second floor would be empty. I don't need 3 floors in my house, but the elevator ride needs to be long enough to feel useful.
    Youtube channel is up!-->According2Valentine

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
    If lucky, the E36 will die peacefully, in its natural habitat, and be given the prestigious honor of donating its parts to an E30
    Originally posted by J3M93
    This guy delivers, you are a boss

Comment

Thanks guys! Def going to look into alt energy. I love saving money on basic needs, lol.

$150k is my goal. I am prepared to go over, but I, being the frugal motherfucker I am, think I can possibly hit that nail on the head, no pun intended.

Here is the one he built to these plans. Nothing fancy, but it's really nice inside.

1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by fporro View Post
        This is some impressive shit.
        I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
        Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

Frank, that lanai is beautiful, you really have a great view from there, must be very relaxing to sit out there at night and take in the view.

Where are you located exactly? My GF's parents live in Manoa Valley and I'll be visiting this summer, can't wait! Will be the 6th time out there in as many years, truly some of the most beautiful places and people out there.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
            I'm thinking detached garage with tunnel from the basement to the garage with trapdoor behind a bookcase or something so I can sneak out to the garage.
            ^ this
            Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

No offense but that floor plan is straight out of the 70's. Open up the space! Eliminate the pantry wall all along the entry. Toss out the bar (peninsula) in the Kitchen and give it the more modern island look. Open flow through space.
              Give yourself a few more square feet in Your Bedroom and especially Your Bathroom. It is your castle after all!
              A few small changes vastly improves the livability of this floor plan.
              Try large size Travertine stone instead of tile. Inexpensive at Home Depot or similar. Such a better feel.
              You are in a position to put Your personal touch on this home. Change the floor plan. Make it yours.
              I personally hate listening to the Washer/ Dryer all the time. Relocate to Garage area or at least far end of the home.
              Got a few more but that is enough for now. Good luck to You! Looks like fun to me.

Comment

I wish houses were 150k where i live :( to bad the average shit box is 400k and i mean you get nothing for 400k its crazy expensive here.! I hate it.
                1988 e30 alpine white vert 5speed
                1987 e30 325 eta
                1983 e28 533
                2001 x5 4.4l
                1997 e36 M3 Alpine white 5speed
                1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

Is this going to be a frame or brick house?
                  I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
                  Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

Originally posted by mitch500 View Post
                    I wish houses were 150k where i live :( to bad the average shit box is 400k and i mean you get nothing for 400k its crazy expensive here.! I hate it.
                    +1

in 2000 my parents bought their first house for 65g;s cash in Regina Sask.

as of 07 it was worth about 250...and its climbing in value. The house is a 3 bedroom bungalow with shitty windows, no garage and leaky basement.
                    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

definitely need a hideout room/shelter for the zombie apocalypse
                      Originally posted by blunttech
                      r3v does not fuck around. First you get banned, then they shoot you

Comment

Im always down to help man like chris said.

You need to get the land perked for a well since Im sure you parents have one right there and be sure to spend some coin on one. The deeper they drill the more $$$ it is.

Also have connections for some good builders who can help. Feel free to pm or txt me.

Comment

Don't forget the mini BMX park in the backyard.
                          2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8
                          1986 Slammed Shwarz ETA Coupé (DEAD)
                          2004 Slammed TSX A/T (Wifey's)
                          1963 Slammed ChevyII never ending project
                          1982 Suzuki GS1100GK CaféRacer

Comment

bddog brings up some good points. hierarchy of important spaces in a home are kitchen, bedroom, main bath.. (then garage for us car guys) you want those spaces to have as much natural light, openness (in the kitchens case especially) quality materials/fixtures, and creature comforts as possibly in your budget. radiant heat floors in the kitchen and bath will make you feel like a king every day.

open up the floor plan. configure spaces with furniture, not walls.. it gives room for the house to grow with you. spec high ceiling, lots of windows, and remember that whatever makes your wife happy will make you happy too.

also, that front facade needs some serious work for curb appeal. have the roof line and dormers welcome the street/yard. give yourself a porch and a deck.

walk the site for weeks to find good views to highlight from inside the house, and note things like natural obstacles (trees, floodplains) that, with smart planning, you can avoid having to remove or correct. location is everything! orient your house and windows to the sun! bring in north light. go nuts on low-E glass and insulation and take advantage of some killer tax credits and incentives on technology like tankless water heaters, solar arrays, geothermal ground loops.. all these upfront costs will be amortized in your mortgage but undoubtedly make your property more efficient and cost effective and valuable, not to mention great to live in.

also ask yourself where your life will take you. is it 1.5 children, wife, and dogs? plan your home accordingly but keep in mind that downsizing is the next big thing and more square footage at the expense of thoughtful design and quality materials, features, and craftsmanship is folly. bigger ain't always better!

treat this just like the best build thread you've ever seen. take the time to plan exactly what you want and do it once, do it right.. and if you stretch your budget (you will), don't worry. the end result will be worth it. it's your home man.

Comment

Hmmmm...........Sorry if I missed it. But no one asked what kind of setting the house is in.

Wooded area? Near urban new construction? That plays a lot into the exterior look of the house.

I'm so jelly though - I someday want to build a log cabin from just logs. Crazy I know.
                              Originally posted by Matt-B
                              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

You are wasting space with a formal living room and foyer. That is square footage you don't need. You can do a much nicer looking house, better floor plan, with less SF and money. Rotate the Family Room and kitchen 90 degrees. Incorporate the dining area in with the kitchen for something more intimate. Main entrance should open up to a gathering space for better Feng Shui. Also consider your orientation to South. If you have the flexibility to orientate the house, make it passive solar. If not, you can still get creative with having more windows on the South face and better natural daylighting on that side as well. Generally Bedroom should go on the North face with gathering rooms on the south face.
                                Front porch is a waste of money. No one uses them any more even though you think you will. It also shades the windows and darkens the interior.
                                For least expensive operating costs inclose the attic in the conditioned space by insulating between the rafters and creating an unventilated roof. This can be done by spraying 1" closed cell between the rafters followed by R-19 and a reflective heat shield. This insulation will run you about $4k for the attic alone, but well worth it in the long run to keep operating expenses low. Talk with Q5Quint on this forum about energy modeling your house. Where I'm at heat pump with electric strip auxillary heat is the most efficient system. You can incorporate that with a heat pump water heater.
                                I'm a residential structural engineer and built several houses if you have any specific questions.

One other comment: Why doesn't your garage have a car lift and 15 ft. ceilings? :)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X