Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325es noob build

Hey folks,

Just looking for a place to log my build process and I believe this is the right place.

About a month ago I purchased my first ever BMW. 1986 325es. $600 bucks with a scattered engine (t belt) and an old replacement to go with. Basically 1.5 engines, 2 Getrags, and a bunch of additional goodies.

I'm late in the game here as I am finished with the bottom end, but I'll catch things up on my next post.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

looks like a clean start! that 325 badge is way off though.
    $600 is a pretty damn good price
    WTB:m60b40 in PNW
    Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
    92 525it 5 speed.
    80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Originally posted by FireFight View Post
      looks like a clean start! that 325 badge is way off though.
      $600 is a pretty damn good price
      Hmm yeah it is off. Well, the car was originally bronzit according to the sticker on the show tower). Who ever painted it must of replaced it off.

Ok so, when I got the car home, I really wanted to just put the donor engine back in so I could give everything a shakedown before digging into the engine. The guy I bought it from said that donor car had about 125k miles, so I figured I would just do a timing belt, rear crank seal and call it good.

Thankfully, I was shown the light by a person on another bimmer forum who convinced me to check the rod/main bearings at the bare minimum.

First thing I found when taking the pan off was this happy little piece of oil drain plug laying there. Guessing someone got a bit overzealous about tightening the plug. Figured they would just pop a new one in and let the remaining half ride.

Then came the rod bearings [emoji21]

And the main bearings [emoji25]

It was at that point I realized there would be no pre-spending testing....

So new rod and crank bearings. (Btw, Turner motorsport doesn't specify early or late crank bearings and will ship the late style. I had to return and pick some up from Ireland Engineering)

Some piston clean up

The rings were also fairly shot. Largest gap was about .042" on the top rings and seriously like an 1/8" gap on the oil rings.

Now, here is where things get a bit "budgeted". After thinking if ways to tell me wife I need to spend "just another hundred bucks or so" to get new rings, I turned to the blown engine I had just gathering dust.

I pulled the rods and to my surprise, the bearings looked damn good. Very little wear and a nice even pattern. Dispite the holes in the top of the pistons, everything else looked really good.

After some careful cleaning and measuring, I swapped over the rings to the engine I am building now. Max gap out of all the rings is ~.016".

The cylinder walls still had the cross hatching so I'm hoping these will seal up nicely.

Now, back to having a rotating assembly, I am focusing on the head.

I'm currently in the process of removing the valves so I can have a local shop clean and surface it for me.

No big plans for engine upgrades. Just want a reliable stock setup. No matter how many times I search "325e performance" I'm not seeing anything other than chip, swap, or throw money at a 2.7i setup. (I'm going to be saving the extra block and crank for the stroker 2.7i just in case)

That being said, I'll do a chip and sst exhaust, but the rest of my focus will be on the chassis itself.

Comment

Got the head cleaned for the most part. Was going to soda blast but the grime and carbon washed up pretty easily!

Comment

Well I've been chipping away at the head. Lapping valves, wire brushing ports, and scrapping gaskets. I ended up dropping the head off at a machine shop this afternoon to surface it. Can't wait to see the outcome!

Sachs stage 2 clutch kit also arrived!

Comment

Got the head back today, looks good! Finishing up the valve lapping now. Heading for a final wash then the assembly can begin!

Comment

Head shots!

Comment

Nothing too new these last couple of days. Got the head torqued down, ordered some new spark plugs (went with the NGK ZGR5A), and a pair of HD transmission mounts. I did not surface the engine block, only scraped and scotch-brited, so I used some of that copper head gasket sealer on that surface. Just got done painting the valve cover with VHT wrinkle black. Pain in the ass to mask off but the results were good. I'll be waiting for the wife to leave the house for a bit so I can cure it in the oven :) Hopefully will get around to setting the valve clearance today. Planning on bolting up the tranny next weekend.

Comment

Valve clearances set and valve cover on. Timing set. Need to install H2O pump, and other front face covers still. But shit, it's getting close!

Comment

Nice work so far!

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                    --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Cleaning out injectors today. IPA and compressed air with a few pulses from my power supply.

Ordered a rebuild kit for them which should be here Monday.

I'll be finishing bolting up the front face of the engine and getting ready to install the flywheel and new clutch assembly.

Comment

#10-24 tap is perfect for getting the filters out BTW.

Comment

Cleaning/checking the AFM

And cleaning the injectors some more in the ultrasonic tank. I know it's not going to do much for the internals, but it should clean the plugs nicely.

Comment

Exhaust manifolds mounted. New stud/ copper nut set from IE.

Comment

Looking Great!

What paint did you use on the manifolds?

RICHTER MOTOREN

1987 e30 325is Zinno - Restoring
                              2004 e46 325xi Alpine - Daily
                              2003 e46 330ci Topaz - Sold
                              1988 e30 325is Zinno - RIP
                              2007 Honda Ody - Family Truckster

'87 325is Restoration Build

Comment

Working...
                              X