No announcement yet.

People building m20 themselves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will you can borrow my bentley if I can learn with you :)

Comment

haha. You can learn with me if I actually rebuild one. I have a rebuilt one I was gonna sell but it looks like thats not gonna be sold (guy wrecked his bike on highway, in hospital for a while). So I might just end up putting that in there. I dunno.

Will
      RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
      Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
      DaveCN = Old Man
      My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
      If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Originally posted by winstontj View Post
        I don't even own a bentley manual...

I thought I read on here - or maybe I thought I saw it listed for that at BavAuto??

How much are they? I own a Haynes and a Chilton manual and they work fine. The two combined with the HTK and realoem have everything I need. I'm actually going to purchase an m20 shortly that I will rebuild, stroke, bore, etc so I am interested in how you guys say this can be built in a weekend... I would assume that removal takes a full day (by yourself), dissasembly takes a full day to do it right, drop at machine shop... anywhere from a week to three months... assembly can be done in a day or two but you need to take your time to do it right. Often you'll have to measure the crank journals to the bearings and have the crank repolished, etc.

Are you talking about a rebuild just throwing the parts together or a real one where you actually measure tolerances before you start torquing?
        If you've ever done any kind of engine work, you should be able to have the motor out in an afternoon, these are stupid simple to do. I'm also including air tools here. Disassembly should also take no more than an afternoon. Measurements are sort of important. You can usually re-ring an M20 block have your ring end-gaps still be in-spec., as long as the engine hasn't been run into the ground before the rebuild.

BMW cranks have hardened journals. If they are off, they need to be machined and re-hardened. At that point, I'd scrap it. Very rarely will you need to machine a BMW crank, unless it's been abused. You should be fine with purchasing standard bearings from a place that will swap them if necessary, and some plasti-gauge to do your checking.

Comment

I pulled the rebuilt m20 out of my wrecked car tonight after work. Had it out and on the ground in 2 hours :)

Will
          RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
          Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
          DaveCN = Old Man
          My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
          If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Working...
          X