engine stops at 4k need help asap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine stops at 4k need help asap

My buddies car just started with a new problem. he has an 87is. when he is drivin it, as soon as he hits 4k it starts bucking real bad and won't rev any higher. if he has the clutch in it will rev up like normal. we checked the plugs, wires, cap and rotor and check resistance in the coil. everything was okay and the coil primary and secondary windings had normal resistance. not sure were to go from here. has anyone else had this happen?
    sigpic

My first guess would be a problem with the fuel pumps or a bad AFM. You need to check to see that both the in-tank transfer pump is operating correctly, that the high pressure pump is operating correctly, that the FPR is good, and that the filter is clean. And you need to take a peek in the tank and see if there's a lot of loose crud, which can plug up the inlet screen of the transfer pump at higher flow rates. The procedures for checking the fuel delivery system are in the Bentley.

The AFM can be checked by seeing if its resistance smoothly changes as you move the vane.

Oh yeah, also check to make sure that the grounds from the engine to chassis are in place.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

The fuel system has good pressure, but didn't check the afm yet. That will be my next test
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stilllearning View Post
        The fuel system has good pressure, but didn't check the afm yet. That will be my next test
        Your welcome to bring it over to my garage and start throwing replacement parts at it to see if anything helps.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Working...
        X