more starter problems :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more starter problems :(

i hate to keep asking these questions but i'm genuinely stuck here. i'm pretty sure i've got the starter wired right now, but when i start the car, it sounds like the starter keeps running. i can rev the motor and the sound stays the same so it's something electrical for sure, and i have no electric fans in the car. could it be anything aside from the starter? anyone have a picture of how the starter should be wired? right now i've got the big red cable on the left, big black cable on the right, green/black at top, and yellow/black at bottom. (looking from the front of the car)

any ideas?

my friend thought maybe if i drive it around it'll stop and it's just normal, but i'm disinclined to believe that.

Move the big red cable to the SAME terminal as the black one. That will fix your problem. If you run the car very long like that, the battery will smoke lol. And your starter will die.

Will
    RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
    Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
    DaveCN = Old Man
    My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
    If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

To clarify why... the big red cable comes direct from the alternator + and the black cable goes to the battery basically. On that left terminal, there is a cable on the starter that goes from the solenoid to the case of the starter itself. That is the solenoid's ground I believe. So when you put the alternator + on the ground for the solenoid, you're basically making a dead short in the system and the starter motor always gets power (so it keeps freewheeling) but the solenoid does not (so it doesnt stay engaged with the flywheel). Make sense? If you look closely, youll see the strap on the solenoid that goes to the starter case. I made the SAME EXACT mistake. Thanks for the PM.

Will
      DaveCN = Old Man

If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

thank you thank you thank you

going to try it out now :p

Comment

TRY? You mean fix it now ;)

Will
          DaveCN = Old Man

Comment

yup that did it :)

Comment

Good. Told ya it would work lol

Will
              DaveCN = Old Man

Comment

Working...
              X