No announcement yet.

Post pictures of your most recent purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another reference to a "cheap" renovation: here is the kitchen i built for our home.

i bought a kitchen full of cabinets used from the habitat restore about 10 years ago for about 500 bucks. they sat around taking up space in my garage for about 7 years before i finally got around to working on it.

there were 4 cabinets left over when i was finished. there were also a few cabinets that were of the wrong size, so i modified the box a little to suit our needs. originally they were a light maple color like the inside of the picture below. i don't have any pics handy of the original kitchen, but it was ugly as fuck. think about what the kitchen from a late 70's spec home might have been like after a little less than 40 years of use.

needless to say, the color was....not to our style. i threw away all the shelves and door faces and built my own. i sanded down all the cabinet frames and re stained them in mahogany.

the kitchen is a total mess right now. my wife would be pissed if she knew i posted these, but you get the idea.

i hand built the plate racks and wine rack

hand built the pull outs for trash, recycling, and spices

the counter tops are made from porcelain tile that looks like rusty metal or more like rust stained cement. the most expensive element here was that aluminum anodized trim along the edges. i used spectra lock epoxy grout on the countertops so we never have to worry about the grout staining or becoming moldy from spills.

i moved the refrigerator from the left side of the kitchen to where the pantry used to be.

all my appliances are used from craigslist. the kitchen aid stove probably originally cost well over two grand. i paid around 300 bucks for it in good working order.

as you can see, there is a LOT of labor involved in this project. i spent about 2 months working on it in my spare time. not accounting for my work, i have about 3600.00 invested in this kitchen with appliances, electrical and plumbing.
    Last edited by flyboyx; 01-13-2017, 08:36 AM.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

^ Nice work! Especially the plate/wine racks. I'm a fan of the Restore for appliances. We picked up 30" KitchenAid Superba double ovens for $200 there. Below is the bar backsplash I just did last weekend. Spent about $300 on the wood, the soapstone sink came with the house.
      Attached Files
      sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
        another reference to a "cheap" renovation: here is the kitchen i built for our home.

i bought a kitchen full of cabinets used from the habitat restore about 10 years ago for about 500 bucks. they sat around taking up space in my garage for about 7 years before i finally got around to working on it.

there were 4 cabinets left over when i was finished. there were also a few cabinets that were of the wrong size, so i modified the box a little to suit our needs. originally they were a light maple color like the inside of the picture below. i don't have any pics handy of the original kitchen, but it was ugly as fuck. think about what the kitchen from a late 70's spec home might have been like after a little less than 40 years of use.

needless to say, the color was....not to our style. i threw away all the shelves and door faces and built my own. i sanded down all the cabinet frames and re stained them in mahogany.

the kitchen is a total mess right now. my wife would be pissed if she knew i posted these, but you get the idea.

i hand built the plate racks and wine rack

hand built the pull outs for trash, recycling, and spices

the counter tops are made from porcelain tile that looks like rusty metal or more like rust stained cement. the most expensive element here was that aluminum anodized trim along the edges. i used spectra lock epoxy grout on the countertops so we never have to worry about the grout staining or becoming moldy from spills.

i moved the refrigerator from the left side of the kitchen to where the pantry used to be.

all my appliances are used from craigslist. the kitchen aid stove probably originally cost well over two grand. i paid around 300 bucks for it in good working order.

as you can see, there is a LOT of labor involved in this project. i spent about 2 months working on it in my spare time. not accounting for my work, i have about 3600.00 invested in this kitchen with appliances, electrical and plumbing.
        Damn! Mr. Fixer-Upper here. Great job, it looks amazing. And for a nice budget too. I like the counter tops and the racks.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by flyboyx
        how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
        Originally posted by Northern
        beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
        Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
        Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
        '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
        Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Yeah, that's a damn good kitchen for what you have in it. That counter top is a bit different, but I bet it was way cheaper than granite, etc., while being durable too, and it looks pretty good. Well done.

Comment

I'm definitely stealing that countertop idea when it comes time to redo mine!
            No E30 Club
            Originally posted by MrBurgundy
            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

I just donated two toilets to restore and some building materials I was not going to use. Great for tax purposes and no hassle of craigslist.

The cruddy kitchen cabinets I have in my barn are from restore. I am thinking about asking about the three pallets of bricks they have at our local one so I can make a walk way around my garage instead of the mud on rainy days.
              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by HennaE30 View Post
                Damn! Mr. Fixer-Upper here. Great job, it looks amazing. And for a nice budget too. I like the counter tops and the racks.

damn! i haven't seen you post in quite a while. really good to see you back.

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                Yeah, that's a damn good kitchen for what you have in it. That counter top is a bit different, but I bet it was way cheaper than granite, etc., while being durable too, and it looks pretty good. Well done.
                it was pretty inexpensive. there is around 33/ftsq. i think the tile cost about 2.40/ft, the grout was around 70.00 for 4x the amount i needed. 5 sheets of 3x5' hardibacker at about 8.00/sheet. 5 sheets of 1/2"x 4x8' plywood doubled up. 2 small boxes of 7/8" fine thread sheetrock screws @ 12.00. the expensive part was as i mentioned above the aluminum trim around the edges to finish it off. i think the bill for that material alone was around 200 bucks. i think i'm into those counter tops for about a 5-600 dollars. as you can see there was a lot of labor involved but i am somewhere around 17.00 square foot. you can hardly buy formica for that.

Originally posted by ajhostetter View Post
                ^ Nice work! Especially the plate/wine racks. I'm a fan of the Restore for appliances. We picked up 30" KitchenAid Superba double ovens for $200 there. Below is the bar backsplash I just did last weekend. Spent about $300 on the wood, the soapstone sink came with the house.
                sweet. there is nothing like the satisfaction of finishing up a job you did all yourself.

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                I'm definitely stealing that countertop idea when it comes time to redo mine!
                send me a pm when you get ready. i'll tell you everything you need to know.

thank you for the kind comments all of you.
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                  damn! i haven't seen you post in quite a while. really good to see you back.
                  Thanks man. My e30 has been in the back of the shop being neglected. I've been away at school. I've been on recently selling a bunch of parts, but rarely to the off topic/GD sections. My car is in the process of being parted out.

Per thread rules: (sorry for potato phone)

how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?

Comment

No idea what that is ^

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
                      No idea what that is ^

I feel sorry for you bro.

Canes has best chicken fingers and the sauce is boss

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                        I feel sorry for you bro.

Canes has best chicken fingers and their toast is boss
                        What he said ^

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                          Time to put an engine together!

Or find out I need to bore it out....

I hate working with dial bore gauges. I've got shaky hands so I've usually gotta have a buddy hold it steady for me so I can calibrate it properly against the micrometer reading when we're using them in class. Good purchase for an engine builder, though. :nice:
                          "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
                          The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Scored these two 44mm waste gates for 150 bucks. Guy was selling cause they are missing couple parts but they can be bought new and still be in it for less then a single new one.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

My turbo project is taking way too long so I just bought something that already had a couple.
                              Attached Files

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC CP class champ
                              HSAX Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by akorcovelos View Post
                                My turbo project is taking way too long so I just bought something that already had a couple.
                                3.5 ecoboost? My parents just got an Explorer with one and damn... it's actually pretty quick lol

Comment

Working...
                                X