KI4UJO's 24v Build and M42 DD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KI4UJO's 24v Build and M42 DD

Just as a warning, this may be drawn out with large gaps in between updates. I'm bad about not taking photos of every single thing that I do.

In 1985, someone decided that they wanted an e30. However, unlike everyone else, they wanted to pick it up at the factory. So, they checked off euro delivery and picked up their new 318i, built on June 14, 1985. It was optioned with:
    S286A - BMW LA Wheel, BMW Styling (Bottlecaps)
    S400A - Slide/Tilt Sunroof, Manual
    S410A - Electric Window Lifts, Front
    S530A - Air Conditioning
    S835 - Euro Delivery
    S915A - Delete Clear Coat

This package was wrapped in Delphin Metallic on Grey Houndstooth (with Comfort Seats). For Reference, here is what that looked like :

If you think that it still looks like that, you'd be dead wrong. That was 2010. I got the car from my dad, who bought it in 1994 as a DD. He dd'd it until 2000, when he got a truck. It was occasionally driven until 2005, when it received a round of bad fuel which clogged every fuel system component sans the lines. When I got it in 2010, I was 13. I had actually been working on it since 2009, when I was 12. Yes, I wanted an e30 from a very early age. According to my dad, I've wanted it since I was 3.

Now, It looks like this:

Ok, well not exactly like this. It has an interior, this was taken during the install of one of the many unique features that I have added. As you can tell, it was reshot, but there was an issue with the clear. That is why it looks so bad. Also, it sets higher than any other stock e30 that I have ever seen (I believe it may have vert springs on it).

As for what it looks like now, the exterior is essentially the same (Including the pfeba spoiler). Inside, it is rapidly changing. I now have all black interior, with the exception of the carpet, which is charcoal grey. I picked up 2 of these at a Pnp a few weekends ago, and will be installing them as soon as I get 2 more handled e21 sliders (if you have them, PLEASE let me know).

As for the consoles, they are flocked. You will also notice that I converted to manual windows, and that I have a carphone. Here is the brakedown of these.

Consoles - After the window conversion, I needed to fill the holes. So, I filled the holes and flocked the shifter console. After that, the ebrake console needed to match.

Windows - Both power regulators died within two days of each other. At that point, I had decided that manual windows were the way to go. Plus, it's a free arm workout.

Carphone - can it get any more period correct? It came from a 1989 750il. I converted it to bluetooth so that I can still use it. I get a lot of looks when setting in traffic while using it.

Dash shot - at night

The headunit is from an e34, which brings me to the interesting audio setup. This e30 has an e36 Harmon Kardon Amp W/Convertible Subwoofer (Mounted to the Ski Pass), e34 HU W/WB, and 6 Disc Changer. It produces amazing sound, considering that I have a total of $70 into it. (For reference, the harness connecting/powering the amp into the car is 25 feet long, and took me 6 hours to pinout/create. It uses 100% OEM Wire/Connections)

Everything was going smoothly up until last month. I was doing a throttle body swap to replace a leaky unit and noticed the oil. I then proceeded to fail MARTA (tn emissions test, only required in 3 or 4 counties and I am in one of them). After a compression test, I found that I was around 35 pounds low across the board. So, to solve the problem, I bought this

So, this is where the 24v part comes in. Here we have a 1992 325i sporting a M50B25, non-vanos. It died an unfortunate death due to someone my age deciding to what most teens with a BMW would feel compelled to do - show off (or be dumb, I believe that in this case the two terms are interchangeable). He was doing doughnuts in a parking lot, spun backwards, and hit a light pole. His loss is my gain. Bodywork aside, it has a 150k drivetrain that runs perfectly from what I have seen (car had no rad when I bought it, putting one in tomorrow to actually drive it in more than 1st gear. PO bought it from dad of kid who killed it, PO seems trustworthy and told me that he sold the rad out of it to someone else with an e36).

So, that's it for now. If I forgot anything (which I probably did), it will come in today's post about driving the donor, probably with a walkaround of both cars.

On a final note, the e36 sounds extremely aggressive with no exhaust after the cat. Any muffler recommendations? I love the tone and sound, but need it quieter for street use once it goes in the e30.
    Last edited by KI4UJO; 05-03-2017, 08:28 PM.
    IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Nice project! Your sound system is pretty cool, haven't seen that setup in an e30 before and that car phone is hilarious (in a good way).
    '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
    '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Well, I didn't drive the donor today. Instead, I replaced my drivers' side door glass so that I can roll up the windows now.

Codym42, this is the complete breakdown of the audio system:
      e34 Headunit (AM/FM/CD Changer Capable/WB)
      6 Disc CD Changer
      Harmon Kardon Amplifier
      Harmon Kardon Sub Housing
      Cheap Ebay Sub (Which does MUCH better than I thought it would)
      OEM front speakers (for now)
      GM Tweeters
      Kenwood Rears

The carphone is actually very practical. Besides the looks, it is very comfortable to hold. It fits perfectly between my head and shoulder, allowing me to keep both hands of the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by KI4UJO View Post
        ...it sets higher than any other stock e30 that I have ever seen (I believe it may have vert springs on it).
        Have you seen pics of Klaus before I put a suspension on him?
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Ok, well I've started sourcing the other needed parts (rad expansion tank, cruise control install, etc.)
          In the mean time, I've been preparing this for the 2014 Hot Rod Power Tour:

Currently, I am replacing exhaust gaskets, along with a r134a retrofit (C3's get extremely hot due to the fiberglass floor + catalytic converter heat passing directly through it). Also, a PO thought it would be nice to somehow knock a chunk out of the HVAC box, so I get to replace that tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to that, but the end result will be nice.

Comment

Awesome start! You'll love the power difference the m50 makes over the m10. It's a perfect engine for the chassis. I really like the non-vanos m50, keeps it super simple. Coupled with a g240 it makes for a pretty quick set up. Good luck! Check my build in my signature if you want check out what I did.
            91 318is M50 swapped
            05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

With the G250, it should get out of its own way. I'm with you, I like the simplicity of the M50NV. Its just one less thing to worry about.

Comment

Well, I haven't done anything else as far as the swap, but I did j load the donor car and have begun to source parts. The swap should begin on the 2nd or 3rd week of June.

Sent from my Car Phone

Comment

So I drove the donor car yesterday

My OEM-style overflow bottle mount

Comment

What rear end are you using for the swap?
                    91 318is M50 swapped
                    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                      What rear end are you using for the swap?
                      I'm not sure yet, but the stock early 318i 3.64:1 will have to go. On another note, I bought these today at the PnP yard

Yes, they're racelands. However, for what I paid for them, I can't really go wrong. I'll mount them this week and give an honest review, as I will be coming from recently refreshed stock suspension.

Comment

Power Tour didn't go so well. Me and my dad started this morning with this :

I'm the guy in the reds shirt.

This happened on I-85, 30 miles from the final destination of zMax dragway:

We got clipped while trying to merge (by a driver that just drove away, I might add) and spun backwards into the cincrete embankment at around 60 (MPH for you EU guys). It it totaled. It now has a warped frame, doors that are unable to open, and a completely demolished rear clip. Anyway, we walked away shaken but uninjured. Needless to say, the lord was watching out for us today.

For reference, this was last month:

This was left by the rear end:

Ill get better photos tomorrow or monday. I'm just glad we're not dead. We almost got T-Boned by a Tahoe.

Comment

damn, thats really sad. at least you and your dad are ok.
                          ---E30 320i Hennarot 1984 Sedan---

Comment

That sucks. I hate seeing stuff like that. Glad you're alright

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
                            '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                            '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Sorry for the somewhat bad phone photos. Anyway, that's the "bad" side.

Back to e30 world, my donor car quit running. It has a bad CPS, along with weird DME stomp test results. DME and CPS will be here Wednesday. Provided that goes well, the motor could come out this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X