Tax by the miles driven instead of gas tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
    Have you seen the roads around Portland?

And that is not from underfunding despite what they want you to believe. It's misappropriation of funds. No money for maintenance, but tons of cash for Bioswells, speed bumps and other "traffic calming devices" (which cause more emissions if you think about the concept), bike boxes, converting roads to bike boulevards, adding bike lanes next to bike lanes (wish I was joking) and basically telling any who drive to F*ck off.

"The city that works!" - Portland

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5517...7i13312!8i6656

Check out the above link - and scroll it back to 2007-2014, you can see how they realigned it.
    I don't live in Portland, but thanks.

It's 100% from lack of funding. They literally had no money for basic maintenance - even stuff like putting down sealant on cracks. It's not a big city with budgets of tens of millions. The gas tax raised $300,000 annually if that gives you an idea.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      I don't live in Portland, but thanks.

It's 100% from lack of funding. They literally had no money for basic maintenance - even stuff like putting down sealant on cracks. It's not a big city with budgets of tens of millions. The gas tax raised $300,000 annually if that gives you an idea.
      ..was just using Portland as an example, to show what happens even when they do get money. Course, your results may vary.

But the problem of it being based off gas tax is similar, in that it's not the best planned method of taxation. As cars get more efficient the amount coming in gets less. So for smaller municipalities, it does become an issue..

So the answer would seem to be basing it on mileage per year since most people are fairly consistent with their yearly driving distance if nothing changes per year (i.e. employment, home address..etc.)

But then what happens when you have a REALLY small community, where most people walk to local businesses, and miles driven over the entire town (thinking those with populations of under 1000) is significantly less. They get the short end of the stick. Especially if they have a lot of traffic coming through their town because they are say, located on a major route out side the Highway/Freeway system.
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

well it looks like portland just passed a temporary gas tax earlier this year to address the road wear

outside of that, what is the source of most of portland's transportation budget? i think most of the gas taxes are collected by the state.

Comment

I wonder how MVA/DMV fees are allocated nationwide, if they go to the state only, or if some get redistributed to care for non-state highways?

Same question for fuel tax, although I do know there is a Federal tax, in some places a state tax, and in some areas an additional local/county tax.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
            outside of that, what is the source of most of portland's transportation budget?

..but to answer your question seriously:

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/trans...article/504526
            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            2016 Ford Flex
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

so yeah, looks like before the new gas tax only a bit more than 10% of the transportation budget was funded by state gas tax

Comment

dont forget a portion of your local county/city property taxes is supposed to fund road and municipal maintenance and services. In fact that should be where the bulk of your local road funding comes from.

The national fuel tax and transportation taxes (special excise taxes and permitting fees with anything associated with the trucking industry which is far greater source of income compared to the fuel use taxes) are to fund any thing with at US or Interstate road designation. Your state taxes for the most part fund state routes, with a large stipend from federal dollars to keep the US and interstate routes maintained by state employees, and equipment. Your city and county roads are by and large funded by your local taxes and property taxes, with some federal and state money filtering into those budgets as well.
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Here we have a wheel tax. Every year when you license your car you gotta pay a certain amount for driving on the roads.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                  1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                  Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                  Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                  Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

we have a county weight fee, standard across the board for most things unless you have a 3/4 ton and up then you have to pay a bit extra..... Yes your also correct I totally forgot about registration/licensing fees for each of your cars in addition to your city/county property taxes for road funding ....
                    Originally posted by Fusion
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

Maybe somebody wants to know how it's done in the Netherlands. For an e30 touring I pay around $800 (heavier cars pay more) per year in road tax, gas is $6+ per gallon, traffic fines are insanely high, new cars are taxed incredibly high relative to emissions (a v8 camaro costs 120k)

The government makes 5 times more off cars than they spend on roads. It's ridiculous.
                      The roads are in good condition but we don't have enough off it. Traffic jams all over the place.

I wouldn't mind hitting a pothole once in a while to pay 5x less..
                      Euro car and parts export business based in the Netherlands, specialized in E30 Tourings!

Instagram: @garage30_ WWW.GARAGE30.NL

Comment

Working...
                      X