Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 loss of power

Goodafternoon R3V,

Hey guys, I have an 84 325e that ive owned for almost 6 months and I still cant figure out whats causing my problem. I bought the car from a guy who was selling it for his sister. The car had been sitting outside of ralphs for about 4 months with a cracked oil pan. I took the chances and bought it for 800 bucks. Towed it home and I went to the junkyard the next day to get a new oil pan and replaced the bad one with the good one. Did all the basic maintenance while I was at it. When I started it it idled fine but when I put it on drive or reverse the car almost wants to die but it doesnt. Along with that the oil lamp comes on when I put it on drive or reverse but disappears when in Nuetral or Park. The car also backfires when i come from a complete stop but dissappears when its going. Any ideas what might be causing the problem? I appreciate any help! If you guys need anymore information just ask away! Thank you so much!

Sticky idle control valve,
    air leaks,
    for starters.

The oil pressure light might just be that it's running at 100 rpm,
    but personally, I would put an oil pressure gauge on it to see how
    it is at speed, since the pan was poped...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Ive replaced all the vaccuum hoses and cleaned the icv as well! Im gonna go try and check the pressure this weekend. I cant do anything during the week because of work. Also i remember that one of the white o-ring looking things from the oil pump, the one on the shaft, shattered when I was installing the new oil pan but never replaced. Could that also have to do with my problem? Im hoping its not cus its not fun working with the oil pan at all!

Comment

That o-ring was there for a purpose and needs to be replaced. I don't know whether it could cause low oil pressure. Replace the o-ring and then check oil pressure on a hot engine at idle (should be above 7.5psi) and at 5000rpm (should be 50-60psi).

There is a good chance that there are intake leaks and a smoke test is the only reliable diagnostic.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

for oil light, may be caused by a drop in rpm when put into drive or reverse when at a stand still, just enough to cause oil pressure to fall below 7.5 if pump is worn out, and causes light to come on?

Comment

Working...
          X