Oil cooler thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil cooler thermostat

upon dissection of the oil cooler thermostat, if the cooler is deleted and the fittings are plugged, when the thermostat opens, it will block all flow of oil. If you plan on removing the oil cooler, remove the thermostat, heat it up so the pin pushes all the way out, and then cut it off, this will prevent it from opening. theres is still pressure at the outlet, so for turbo guys, you can use that outlet for a turbo oil feed.

yes, the OEM M20 oil cooler t-stats are full flow, there's no bypass.

this is also true for M30 oil coolers.

Generally you can't block off the cooler fittings, you'll need to loop them if you need to temporarily disable the cooler lines.
    cars beep boop

Comment

thats what im saying though, if you pull the thermostat out of the housing, heat it up and cut off the pin, you can plug them off without worrying about starving your motor, wish i had taken pictures when i had it apart, next time i have it i will.

Comment

....you could just remove the cooler from the block, and screw the filter directly on, a la eta...

just takes the eta nipple.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

i had a quick look at this, i don't see why you cant just remove the t-stat and assemble the rest as per normal with the two block off plugs, as opposed to damaging it beyond repair though. the spring would need to be removed as its too short but i dont see this an issue?

as for the eta adapter, you cant tap into for oil temp and such, plus headers/extractors might potentiality cause clearance issues
          Last edited by digger; 06-08-2017, 03:19 AM.
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
            i had a quick look at this, i don't see why you cant just remove the t-stat and assemble the rest as per normal with the two block off plugs, as opposed to damaging it beyond repair though. the spring would need to be removed as its too short but i dont see this an issue?

as for the eta adapter, you cant tap into for oil temp and such, plus headers/extractors might potentiality cause clearance issues
            I hear and agree what you are saying, something in the back of my head tells me that wont work but i cant tell you why at the moment, when i go to do it, ill let you know, its very possible that could work and then you would have two ports for oil feed/sensors.

Comment

Working...
            X