Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling a car on eBay.

Anybody done this?

I have been thinking about selling my Miata (42k miles), but unsure of what to ask for it being how the Miata market is right now. I don't want to underprice it and leave cash on the table, but I don't want to list it high because it does need some cash to be what it should be. (Needs good suspension, and a clutch master).

So, I'm thinking about putting it on eBay and letting the people decide it's value.

Anyone done this? Experiences? Worth it?

Selling because It's time to get a toy the family can enjoy as a whole. I love to fish, and my Wife grew up water skiing.... Talked to her and she is all over the idea of selling the car to buy a bass boat with enough power to ski off of, or a fish n ski. Mostly will be used in freshwater with the possibility of putting it in the Bay on occasion.
    Car in question.

No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Honestly I haven't done a car but I did a vintage motorcycle a while back that I wasn't sure of price since it was rough but original and running, comparative sold listings of the same year and model were either restored or very rough condition/project condition.

I started an auction with a high reserve price to gauge interest, it didn't meet reserve but did receive bids so I had more information to go on. I then relisted at a bit more than the highest bid and set the listing to accept offers. I went back and forth with a serious buyer and came to a good price and sold the bike. It was kinda of family heirloom but it was time to go.

Obviously this took a few weeks, really I am always in the same situation of liquidating fast for certain amount and moving on or trying to get every last dollar out but taking more time and effort.

Maybe try a non-auction listing that accepts offers, set at a price you would happy to get plus a few hundred so if you get offers the buyer feels like they are getting money off and you still end up where you want to be in the end.

Hope this sounds clear and helps!!

Comment

I sold my '90 325ic in 2006 on eBay, got good money, no problems.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Listed and sold two cars on eBay, an Alfa Spider and a series Land Rover. I had to run the Alfa ad a few times and the Land Rover sold the first time. I am about to list my Saab 900 turbo on eBay. For both I did an auction with a "Buy it now" option. I also set my "buy it now" price pretty high to see if someone would take the bait and I got offers to end the auctions early for a price slightly below my "buy it now" price. So technically I didn't sell either thru eBay as both deals resulted in me ending the ad and accepting a bank transfer of cash.

My biggest take-away from eBay was that I got a ton of exposure, both cars sold to out of town buyers and both times there were no issues.
        2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
        1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
        1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
        1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

Comment

We just sold an E30 on eBay.

Took a few listings to get a price in the ballpark of what we were looking for. The first two times we ran as an auction with a reserve and best offer, but kept getting low balled. Eventually, we ran it with a fixed price and best offer option. We ended up getting the asking price, though we didn't really make any money on the car in the end..

The transaction went well, and despite one issue that popped up when shipping it across country, the buyer seemed happy with the car. Would we do it again? Probably not.. I and my buddy are control freaks and don't like not being able to verify issues a seller is saying they have with a car or being able to easily make something right if it pops up at the 11th hour. I get that shipping is the sellers responsibility, and most often you are selling as is, but eBay and PP have proven time and time again, that they are very generous when siding with the buyer if there is a dispute.

You may also consider trying Bring A Trailer, or possibly consignment through a low volume dealer if you don't want to dealer with buyers and tire kickers.
          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
          2016 Ford Flex
          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

i say:

fix the clutch master, run some comps, advertise on craigslist and or auto trader. be done with it.

eBay is probably more hassle than you really need to subject yourself to.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Yea I forgot to mention that I'll be replacing the master cylinder before it sells.

I'll probably just list it high on Craigslist and see what happens. Will keep eBay as a last resort.

Thanks for the advice!
              No E30 Club
              Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

So, that Facebook marketplace appears pretty effective. Already got an offer and the guy wants to check it out on Sunday.

Also think I found my boat.

Good times.

Clutch master cylinder is going in on Friday night.
                No E30 Club

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                  So, that Facebook marketplace appears pretty effective. Already got an offer and the guy wants to check it out on Sunday.

Also think I found my boat.

Good times.

Clutch master cylinder is going in on Friday night.
                  Everyone I know loves the Facebook Marketplace... except me. For some reason my facebook app does not have the icon for it and I can't figure out why, I am all up to date on my os and app. I'd love to get on there because it seems like a goop place to buy and sell stuff like cars now.
                  2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
                  1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
                  1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
                  1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

Comment

Best sale experience in a long time. No spam, no low ballers, no Craigslist snakes.

Met up for the guy to look at it, deposit received this evening. Car shall be gone tomorrow!
                    No E30 Club

Comment

Working...
                    X