M20B20 rev drop when starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20B20 rev drop when starting

Hello, I've been having this problem for a while but have been somewhat avoiding dealing with it
    Upon ignition, the revs drop below 500 rpms just before surging back up again. On a cold start it usually doesn't start on the first turn, I usually either have to turn it a few times or turn the starter until it starts to pick up. I filmed a video of this problem today (attached below), but it was on a warm engine. I had one instance where the car wouldn't start at all and had to be towed to start. What could be the culprit?
    Also i'm getting pretty poor mileage, ~15 l/100km urban. Apart from the start issues and increased consumption, the car seems to be running okay, the head was rebuilt ~4000 km ago, recently repaired starter, fresh plugs and wires, recent oil change, maf is okay, o2 sensor works fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6Z2fVsU0QA
    Last edited by ciocc; 04-25-2017, 09:41 AM.

Anyone?

Comment

Check the coolant temp sensor, icv vane and the afm
      Originally posted by wholepailofwater
      Q
      :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
        Check the coolant temp sensor, icv vane and the afm
        I had it hooked up to a diagnostic computer, the coolant sensor seemed okay, there was an afm error a while ago but i cleaned it with a maf cleaner and it seemed okay. I also cleaned the icv with carb cleaner a while ago. Is there another way to test the maf?

Comment

How does it drive while accelerating? is this just and idle problem, or is the car acting up across the rev range?
          Q

Comment

How does it drive while accelerating? is this just and idle problem, or is the car acting up across the rev range?
            When I first bought the car, the acceleration was waaay sluggish. Then after some engine repairs and a new clutch it feels better. Still accelerates kind of slow, but it certainly got better. I don't really have anything to compare it with, but everyone is saying that the b20 is slow, so my guess is that it might be normal.

Oh and the revs only drop upon ignition

Comment

Hmmm, I was diagnosing a problem on my car. I swapped the AFM with one I had laying around and I had a very similar problem. The car would idle very low, like yours. I'm not sure how to test for that specific problem on the afm. Maybe someone else will chime in. If not, since you had a trouble code for it, i would look for one to swap to make sure.
              Q

Comment

Hmmm, I was diagnosing a problem on my car. I swapped the AFM with one I had laying around and I had a very similar problem. The car would idle very low, like yours. I'm not sure how to test for that specific problem on the afm. Maybe someone else will chime in. If not, since you had a trouble code for it, i would look for one to swap to make sure.
                I will try to look for one. Thank you for your answers

Comment

Upon further reading, I suspect a faulty o2 sensor. Could these symptoms be caused by a faulty sensor?

Comment

O2 sensor doesn't kick in til the car warms up
                    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                    Alice the Time Capsule
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                    X