Anyone running a swirl pot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone running a swirl pot?

Just wondering is anyone is running a swirl pot? How did u set it up & where? I've experienced nasty fuel cut in the canyon & I'm not really wanting to abuse my motor anymore.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
    DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

check this: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=251784

I want to run one eventually (not necessarily the OEM version, though that would be cool). do you have an early model with the twin pump setup? I think that's the only way these things provide a true benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by evandael View Post
      check this: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=251784

I want to run one eventually (not necessarily the OEM version, though that would be cool). do you have an early model with the twin pump setup? I think that's the only way these things provide a true benefit.
      Yessir got the dual pump setup. Looking to upgrade either my I tank or inline to a walbro.

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Are you talking about a collector tank / scavenging system? I made this and a buddy of mine did the seams with TIG:

Not pretty but will do the job. It holds fuel enough for 1,5 minutes at full throttle. I've no idea where I'll find room for it though. I won't put it inside the car. I prefer that a possible leak will be outside the chassis... Cost me all of 20€.
        Last edited by petrolhead; 06-10-2012, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
          Yessir got the dual pump setup. Looking to upgrade either my I tank or inline to a walbro.

i wouldn't go for the 255lph walbro. try something more along the lines of stock flow for the high pressure pump. ps, chevy vega in tank pumps are cheap replacements for the e30 transfer pump (with a few slight modifications) http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e30/eng...pump_hack.html

eventually i'm going to run the vega pump as a transfer, to a fuel accumulator/swirlpot, then to a TRE 507. should be more than adequate for an n/a M50.

Comment

I've had great luck with these, just run your factory in-tank pump to the surge tank and depending on the tank you buy it's already self contained with the pump(s) inside.

Comment

What are the differences between an 88 325is tank/pumps and an 87 325is tank/pumps?
              E30 buildy things
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
                Just wondering is anyone is running a swirl pot? How did u set it up & where?
                Yes.

You can set it up pretty much anywhere you like, though some areas are more useful than others. You will need to run 4 hoses through sheetmetal if you run it in the trunk. Right behind the rear seats is a good location because there is room on the other side of the sheet metal for these hoses to run (just watch your swaybars)

Here is an awful cell phone pic of my setup for reference.

Since you're basically running 2 tanks now, you need to open up the fuel plumbing to fit the second one in. You also need a high pressure fuel pump

My 89 325is fuel system used to be:
                Tank -> in tank pump -> feed line -> fuel rail - > FPR -> return line -> tank. Earlier cars with a lift pump and a pressure pump, little different but mostly the same (just remove the pressure pump from the equation).

Now there is a bit more going on.

As you see above there are 4 fittings on a swirl pot (normally).
                Using the picture above as guide, the bottom one feeds the new high pressure pump (Bosch 044 or whatever you desire). Above that is the feed from the main tank. Above that one is the return from the fuel rail. Out the very top is the return to the main tank.

Theory behind having the return from engine above the feed from the main tank is the hot fuel from the rail gets pushed up & back to main tank... IN effect stuff all difference. Tank (and fuel) is warm after a session regardless.

This is not my diagram but its correct for reference.

Are they a good idea?
                For everyday use no way. Cuts into trunk space. Fuel pumps are hell noisy. Bosch 044 are just annoying noisy (hence why I have Dynaliner etc on rear of my seat bac)
                For track, yes good idea.

Trunk (boot) space is moot when you have other things in there besides a swirl pot...

Couple of hot tips:

Plumbing lines - Do not use cheap fuel hose. Your car will stink of fuel. Do not use regular Aeroquip, Earls etc rubber or elastomer braided hose. Your car will stink of fuel.

Use either teflon core hose or Goodyear "Coastguard spec" rubber fuel hose. Teflon hose means -AN fittings. Goodyear means barb fittings. Coastguard spec hose has a wall thickness of about 1/4 inch. Good strong rubber hose that doesn't smell.

Use bulkhead fittings. DO NOT stick fuel hose directly through sheet metal. Do not use a crappy rubber bung and then put fuel hose directly through sheet metal. it's fuel. use bulkhead fittings
                88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Originally posted by John T View Post
                  I've had great luck with these, just run your factory in-tank pump to the surge tank and depending on the tank you buy it's already self contained with the pump(s) inside.

http://store.radiumauto.com/

wow those are very pretty (and i'm sure well made), but the prices are outrageous!

Comment

Good info burkey thanks!

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by evandael View Post
                      wow those are very pretty (and i'm sure well made), but the prices are outrageous!
                      Yeah they are a little expensive at first glance but if you factor in the fact that they are fully modular, billet, come assembled WITH pumps and mil-spec style weather proof connectors, it's not so bad. I've built lots of surge tank fuel systems, a must for a track car, but since these came out; it's so much easier just to bolt one if these in, run a few extra lines and be back in go mode. I've also built and entire system for a guy to have the guy get a wild hair up his ass to make a million horsepower, huge fuel system revamp. Since I've been using these I just call them up, order a few different pieces and as easy as assembling a tricycle I can add another pump without any line changes. Saves me a ton of time for guys that can't make up their mind or guys that have a "growth" plan for their car and I think everybody that's an enthusiast has a "growth" plan for their car.

Comment

I am running a surge tank (swirl pot) from CXRacing in my e24 race car. It's light and roughly about 1/2 gallon. It works very well and mounted easily in the trunk.

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...&Category_Code=
                        90 325i DD/Track
                        03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
                        It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

The plastic accumulator tank does actually work a little. If you have a twin pump car you can run this. Also if you have a twin pump car you might want to do a little bit of diag. I had very bad fuel cut less than 1/2 tank with my s50 car and initially purchased the accumulator tank. It helped but didnt fix the issue. Then shortly after the car stalled driving down the road and would continue to stall after running about 10-15 minutes.

Found that the tank pump had gone and the in-line was doing the job of pulling from the tank and pushing to the rail. New tank pump and the car has never run better with zero starvation. You really shouldn't have much of an issue with a (working) twin pump and the accumulator.
                          Old and improved:

Comment

Apologies for bumping this thread and being little off the point. How many inches between the tank and boot cover?

I just had the idea it would be nice and stealthy to build custom approximately 1/4 gal surge tank around the in-tank opening.

I may make something like that out of fiberglass or alum with some of fabrication. Perhaps large hip flask for whiskey with fittings welded on it haha :nice:
                            "I might get crucified for this but, I honestly believe that people who hate on other automotive sub-cultures are not real car fans." ~ Paddy McGrath

Comment

There is very little room between the top of the tank and the the car body, on the order of fractions of an inch.
                              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
                              X