No announcement yet.

DS 1991 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50 bucks to do the tint! Wow I tried to pull the tint on my old jeep and I gave up after 2 windows hahahaha

Rust your hood, it'll go with the welded diff, and all the cool kids are doing.

Edit. That Rise Against sticker is legit, I love Rise Against:up:
    -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
    08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
    318iS, slow build/garage queen...
    '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
      I'm not a mechanic, but I'm betting if I replace enough old parts with new parts, things will run good and I can drive the car and be happy
      I thought that too. It didn't work out for me. Even after replacing all the parts several times.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

I replace the wrong parts, in not the right order....

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
          awww, twinsies <33

that cloth is a huge pain in the ass to find BTW
          That's what Abdu told me as well. I'll have them redone, but I'll stick with some variation of grey cloth, with a pattern in them. Maybe houndstooth or something similar to the euro 318iS plaid pattern. That will be nice. I will send the seats off next week.

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
          50 bucks to do the tint! Wow I tried to pull the tint on my old jeep and I gave up after 2 windows hahahaha

Rust your hood, it'll go with the welded diff, and all the cool kids are doing.

Edit. That Rise Against sticker is legit, I love Rise Against:up:
          I'm on it now. Rise Against is so rad. Brings back so many teenage angst memories. My parents never understood me.

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
          I thought that too. It didn't work out for me. Even after replacing all the parts several times.
          Originally posted by LateFan View Post
          I replace the wrong parts, in not the right order....
          I'll take notes from you two.

But I ordered a bunch of parts and they are starting to show up.
          19 lb. 4 pintle injectors, SSSquid stage 1 chip, crank position sensor, throttle position sensor. Still waiting on a bunch more. I hope to rip her open this weekend and have her up and running great by Saturday sometime.

world renown Harry Potter expert
          sigpic

Comment

you got too many injectors
            cars beep boop

Comment

Nice to see you back in an e30...uh i mean in an e30 for the first time. Even if you could find that cloth you do not want it as it will come apart just like it has in yours, mine and every 318is that had it. How do you like driving it in relation to the 02?
              Originally posted by blunttech
              Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
              :shock:

Comment

My buddy needs that cloth. Let me get that crap
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

you can make a seat bottom from a seat back.

I got my driver's bottom reupholstered with half of a rear seat lower. I still have the other half, for when the passenger seat dies.
                  cars beep boop

Comment

you got too many injectors
                    6 rebuilt injectors for $99. I couldn't find four, since these came from 6cyl Volvos.

Originally posted by Shangsta View Post
                    Nice to see you back in an e30...uh i mean in an e30 for the first time. Even if you could find that cloth you do not want it as it will come apart just like it has in yours, mine and every 318is that had it. How do you like driving it in relation to the 02?
                    Yes, I love the e30 platform. Since this is my first one, the differences are substantial. I feel way more planted in a stock 318iS compared to a stock 2002. It's fun to wring out the m42, even if I'm not actually moving very fast. I like them both. My heart is in the 2002, but my inner child has much respect for the e30.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    My buddy needs that cloth. Let me get that crap
                    huh

you can make a seat bottom from a seat back.

I got my driver's bottom reupholstered with half of a rear seat lower. I still have the other half, for when the passenger seat dies.
                    True True. This is my second 318iS with this particular cloth. I think I'll just let Abdu do it up. He's done a few interiors for me now and we are usually on the same page for most things. I trust him and I think his work is stellar for what I'm after. I'm not worried about it.
                    sigpic

Comment

I did what any normal person would do, and I ripped apart the intake system. The goal: clean up the "mess under the intake" and simplify my life. I bought a bunch of new parts to make this easy, and I think I can be done with this by tomorrow.

Photos of what I was able to accomplish in an hour before the sun went down.

I quickly removed the throttle body and upper intake manifold to reveal the lower manifold and a nice mess of unnecessary hoses.

almost there:

Finally there. I need to remove a few more things and then I will begin clean-up and start replacing necessary parts. I think I can handle it.

This is what the "mess" consists of. None of these parts are going back into the car.

I will spend time cleaning and painting parts, then finally get everything back together. Should be quick. I want to start driving the car around regularly, and want to sort this out now. Next up with probably be a new clutch and interior. I'm still looking for a nice dashboard!
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh brother. Here we go. I'm sure within 6 months you're going to think you're Ken Block and drift it into a light pull.

In for part out.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                          Oh brother. Here we go. I'm sure within 6 months you're going to think you're Ken Block and drift it into a light pull.

In for part out.
                          u r so negative
                          sigpic

Comment

Really dirty injectors. They were so grimy, I'm surprised they still worked. They look to be the original set that came with the car. This doesn't surprise me since everything in the intake area seemed to be original.

Very dirty lower intake manifold. Probably never cleaned it it's life.

A bit cleaner now, and with new 19-pound injectors.

I noticed none of the coolant hoses were hooked to the heater core. I'll change this in the coming weeks.

They sent me the wrong crank sensor, so I wasn't able to change it. No bother, the old one works just fine.

And back together she goes!

All done. I figured out a way to remove the cosmoline from the aluminum pieces, so the intake mani and oil filter housing were both cleaned. I also changed the oil to synthetic 10w40.

I'm keeping a small book with the car where I can detail all dates when parts were replaced, and services were rendered.

Other side. I'm waiting on yet another set of ignition wires, so the funky wire that doesn't quite fit is just a bandaid for right now.

Next up, reupholstering the seats! I got a hold of the oem cloth "HORIZONTAL", but now I'm digging the "CHECKERED" pattern. I'd even go after a houndstooth if if was in a grey and black color configuration. I have Abdu (ak-) and my other guy working on it. Should be dialed in the next few weeks.

I also bought an is-lip, the missing wheel center cap, I had the car professionally steam-clean pressure washed (undercarriage and engine bay), and ordered some more parts.

Things are good. This car is good. I feel pretty good about it.
                            Last edited by phreshkid; 05-01-2016, 07:00 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Looking good bud!!
                              I'm sure your 2002 OCD (or general OCD) will rub off on the e30 as well!

Comment

Took a stroll to my buddy's collection, saw some cool shit.

This old girl sold for $580k

Replaced the steering wheel with a less-sunbaked one. I figured I'd take apart the cluster to fix the bouncing temp needle, and determine the issue with the odometer.

Found the issue.

Also crawled underneath the car to fix the brake lining light. Ended up fixing it and noticed many new parts under the car, particularly all bushings and the steering rack and other things. Very nice.

Good things are coming.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X