No announcement yet.

RIP 318is, long live 325is that will actually be a 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfect. I'm putting together a 318is for local autocross as well, and have most of the items on that list already waiting to install. I'm starting with OEM rubber bushings for now, but will eventually bump up to poly if needed. What tire/wheel combo?

Comment

It's listed in there but Kosei K8R 15x8 with Rival S tires 225/45. If you haven't autoX before race what you got and really learn the car as is if you have time. That way you really see the difference with the new toys installed. And run crap tires for a while as this really teaches you how to control the car and cut down on bad habits that sticky tires will cover up most of the time. I ran a year on $50 tires then another year on some falkin tire on stock rims before getting my current setup. I think this really helped me get a good understanding of how to drive the 318 to its full potential(Work in progress haha). I am the only 318 e30 at the autox's I go to and I am usually the fastest or very close to being the fastest e30 there. Granted my motor is fresh and not stock but I didn't do anything to add real power. The motor was built with all stock bmw parts. But it is a total blast to drive. I wish I had maybe another 50 hp from time to time, but I wouldn't trade any of my cars handling to get it haha.
      (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Whoops. Don't know how I missed that. Are you using the small or medium case diff for the lsd?

Also, I'm starting this season with my daily driver Hyundai Elantra GT to get my feet wet. The e30 will hopefully be ready next season if it all pans out.

Comment

I had a small case lsd for a while but snapped where the bearing mounts in half and happened to find a medium case diff the next day to swap in.

I did forget to list that I have almost all the weld in reinforcements, an x brace(Really helped turn in response) and strut tower bar.
          (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Would you stick with the small case or is the weight penalty worth it? I'm keeping my eye out for one currently and there are more medium case available than small.

I've got a chance to pick up a vert front sway for real cheap, so I'll be on the hunt for the ix/m3 rear 14.5 until I feel going bigger is needed as well.
            Last edited by captain awesome; 04-27-2017, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I personally won't get a small case again. Cost me 300 dollars and it is only a 25 lb difference and it is very low on the car. But if you already have a lsd small case in it leave. I ran stock bars for probably almost 2 years. Once going with the spec E30 bars you can tell they were meant to work together. I think the rear bar is what really makes the difference. Makes the car very neutral in the corners. My car very rarely pushes. So find that m3/is bar it will make a difference.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk
              (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Thanks for the info so far, I'll probably bother you again before too long.

Comment

Any time

(OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Oh, another thing, are you running the power steering pump or delete? I'm probably picking up an 36 rack this afternoon for cheap, but there is also an e46 on the lot as well. It's a 328i so I don't think it shares the same ratio as the ZHP.

Comment

I am running the pump. All 330's share the same ratio as the zhp but have more assist from the power steering pump.

(OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Just signed up for O-Fest AutoX . Anyone else going?

(OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

So I replaced my front hubs this weekend and worked on some new to me headlights. Finish those up today.

A before shot and one new assembly. I painted the rings around the headlights black also. Got a new kidney grill and painted the other grills to freshen them up. I will post up some finished pics tonight.

(OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Front end back together. Its no show car but looks a lot better.

(OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Raced this past Sunday and had a great time. 6 e30's were there representing! 3 of us where in my class. Could only pull off a 2nd place this time. Lost out to a s52 e30 vert. One of my usual competitor. But the e30's finish 1,2 and 3 in my class.

Here is a video of my fastest run.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B45...w?usp=drivesdk

(OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Working...
                              X