should i change all the old fuses...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have a 1988 325iC with mostly old fuses in the fuse box.Should i leave them alone or replace them all with new ones everything seems to work fine ....what do use guys do...
    sigpic

A fuse doesn't wear out really. It might corrode and cause a problem, but if it is working, no needed to change anything. I would double check you have the correct amperage fuses installed though. Who knows what the previous owner put in.

Comment

ok Sounds good ...Every thing seem to be working,just thought since most of the fuses look like there originals.
      sigpic

Comment

Greg at BavRestoration has said fuses do fatigue. For what they cost shouldn't be a complicated decision.
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

My horn wasn't working when I got my 325i vert last summer, never didn't really worry about start diagnosing it until recently since I had other stuff first on my punch list.
          First thing I did was check the fuse and it looked good. So I moved on to the relay, and that was it, but as soon as I try to activate it, the old fuse blew. It didn't look like it was blown but it was, i put a new fuse and its bee working no problems.
          So I'm renewing all fuses and relays just as a preventative measure.
          "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
          -Mario Andretti.

1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.

Comment

As long as you carry spares, it's not a big deal. I've had my E30 for 4.5 years, and I've only changed 2 fuses, and that was due to my error causing them to blow. I think most of the fuses are still original.
            Estoguy
            1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

I have tons from a previous buy,but this is what i have to deal with...
              So i'll just leave it seeing that every thing is working..

sigpic

Comment

I mean if everything works, why change it?

if something doesn't work, test the fuse with a meter. it's as easy as that.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I suppose your right.I'll just leave it alone and carry spares...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rustneversleeps View Post
                    I suppose your right.I'll just leave it alone and carry spares...
                    The cover has slots for spares. You can also stick some spares in empty slots and mark them with a sharpie so you know which you can use.

If you peruse the local junk yards you might grab a few extra relays and keep those in the glovebox.
                    sigpic
                    Gun control means using both hands
                    Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

ok i think i have room looking at the pics.As for the relays i have a few of those also.I think one of each for spares..
                      Off topic time to test the temp sending unit and the temp senors,blue and brown plug...
                      sigpic

Comment

The problem is the fuse and contacts have 30+ years of copper oxidation on it. This causes an electrical resistance and thus a voltage drop. The cluster is particularly susceptible to visually presenting this voltage drop in the form of twitching and inaccurate gauges. SO i recommend to replace fuse 10, 12 and 21 with new 7.5A fuses as a minimum.
                        Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                        BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                        www.BavRest.com
                        My Feedback Thread
                        Our Facebook!
                        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Hey Greg thanks for your input cause it did pin point some errors and not sure if you notice,Not sure if it make a difference but maybe you can tell me...

Fuse #5. If you look at the pic and fuses left side looking from bottom to top fuse # 5 shows 7.5 Amp (Brown) "new from PO "and in the Bentley manual says 15 Amps (Lt Green) "weird"

Fuse # 9 Shows 15 Amps is correct but manual says 15 Amp (Brown) which looks like all 15 amps are (Lt Blue) maybe a miss print in the maual.

Fuse # 10 The one you recommended me to change again Bentley manual says 7.5 Amp (brown) but there a 15 Amp (Lt Blue) ....
                          So i guess or wonder why that the PO put a 15 Amp instead of a 7.5 Amp.

Fuse # 11 for Fuel delivery (fuel pump) Manual says 15 amps 1984-87
                          Or 7.5 Amp (brown) 1988-90 pic shows 15 Amp I'm assuming it's correct cause my 325iC is a 1988 Production date is 10/87 or could it be a wrong fuse again..

Fuse # 21 Again the one that you recommend to change and manual says 7.5 amp (brown) but there a 30 amp (Lt green)....Wowsie wow that don't seem right...

Fuses # 25 and #26 says Not Used and in the Bentley Manual shows blank empty sockets but there are 2 15 amps (Lt Blue) ..Would these be spares or are these use for something....I suppose it like fuse 15 is not used either and in the pic it;s empty and so is mine......

That's about it i guess.So I guess i have to make some changes right what do you think Greg...
                          sigpic

Comment

Greg at BavRestoration has said fuses do fatigue.
                            I fatigue, too.

I guess I should be replaced...

t
                            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Eventually you will be.
                              AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                              X