Will this blow my motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this blow my motor?

Does anyone know where the hole on the bottom right leads to? I dropped a screw and it fell inside.

My guess is the oil pan?

Comment

Yes, that's an oil drain back hole that leads through the block and into the oil pan. As to whether the bolt made it all the way through or not...you'll have to pull the pan and see.

You could get a flexible borescope with a light and have a look down the hole to see? Amazon has USB models for cheap.
      - Darrell

2001 BMW M5
      1990 BMW 325is - Build Thread

Comment

Yup, straight to the oil pan.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Drop the pan.

If it's not in there, push a hangar wire through.

Edit: It might also be possible to get it out via the drain hole with a magnet or just the force of oil flow.
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

About 30 seconds at redline (when cold) should provide enough oil pressure to get almost anything out of there.
            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

You'll be fine.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

If it's that small, with a little luck you may be able to get it with a telescopic magnet through the drain plug hole.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Most Likely Yes.

Get it out.
                  Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                  A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Once it's out of danger of getting bound up in the valve train, there's nothing for it to hurt-

you'll be fine.

If it didn't get hung up on a ledge of head gasket, it probably made it to the pan-
                    where it will fall to the bottom, and pretty much just sit there.
                    The oil pump has a screen, so it can't get sucked in there. The crank's 2+ inches
                    up, so it'll NEVER hit that, and there's not even any timing chain to make you nervous.

Put a magnet on your drain plug next oil change, ad maybe it'll make its way there.
                    But I bet it just sits on the bottom of the pan for the rest of the life of the motor...

No worries.

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                    X