aligning thrust bearing..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aligning thrust bearing..

Any tips on proper alignment of trust bearing halfs, thrust cap?

this is what I'm thinking: measure thrust clearance with just the block side thrust bearing, install the cap/bearing and tap the crank with plastic mallet while verifying that crank end play measurement is the same as when just the block side thrust bearing is installed.

Would this be correct or there are any other tricks?

Isn't there an alignment dowel in the thrust bearing cap?

Or am I remembering a different motor?

Yes, you can use the crank to align the thrust cap, if I'm wrong-
    just leave the cap bolts a bit loose, and slug it with a relatively big dead blow hammer, both directions.
    As long as there's some end float, it's not super critical... I never worry too much about it
    as long as it feels normal. Maybe John or Digger know more...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
      Isn't there an alignment dowel in the thrust bearing cap?

Or am I remembering a different motor?

Yes, you can use the crank to align the thrust cap, if I'm wrong-
      just leave the cap bolts a bit loose, and slug it with a relatively big dead blow hammer, both directions.
      As long as there's some end float, it's not super critical... I never worry too much about it
      as long as it feels normal. Maybe John or Digger know more...

t

there are no dowels. To get proper end float numbers is no problem. I just wonder how critical it is that both bearing faces are aligned for the same plane. Otherwise thrust surface of the crank will ride the block bearing on one side and the cap bearing on the other. I couldn't find any documentation on this.

On the other engines, there is a procedure: it's basically what I said in my first post: measure the end float with only block side bearing and match the same measurement with both bearings installed. Just wonder about these M20s

Comment

page 28

89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Hey, look at that- whack it with a hammer!

I hadn't realized that the 3- piece bearing was fancier- the little ones get
          ramps, so they can hydro- float the thrust surfaces as well. Cool.

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
          X