Smart Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart Guns

Ok gun advocates, would you be at least ok with all new guns to be "smart" guns that only allow the owner to use the gun as a means of reducing gun violence and accidents?
    'Smart guns' use personalized technology to make sure the weapon only fires in the right hands. Advocates say they could be an important step in reducing gun violence.
    sigpic

I heard of this. Cool concept. Problem is only law abiding citizens will abide by the rules. That's where the whole thing with gun restrictions loses face in my opinion. If someone wants a gun, they'll get it. I have talked with FFL dealers, there is a grow trend of people using "Straw men". Basically a felon pays off someone with a good record to buy them a gun...
    sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

no
      sigpic
      Originally posted by JinormusJ
      Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
      1989 325is Raged on then sold.
      1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
      1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
      1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Personally I think it's an interesting idea. But in the end I don't think it's gonna be practical unless the cost can be justified with a decent decrease in gun violence

I guarantee that criminals will find a way to disengage the system for all the guns they steal
        '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
        '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
        '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
        '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

I don't think it would be that hard to hack that system to shoot for anyone.

Comment

I don't want a breathalyzer in my car either.
            sigpic
            Don't buy an e30

They're stupid

Comment

No
              Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I would love one, if 100% effective it eliminates the need for a safe. (keep it in the nightstand, ect.)

Reminds me of the safety devices that would only disengage when the user had on a ring that was the "key". Pretty cool stuff.
                No E30 Club
                Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

so if I load my mag with 7 bullets because I abide by the law, the criminal will only do that too right?
                  "I wanna see da boat movie"
                  "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Originally posted by frankenbeemer View Post
                    I don't want a breathalyzer in my car either.
                    But you do like possessing the only key that starts it, right? Much more apt comparison...

This is an interesting idea - depending on costs and effectiveness this could be a good step forward

Comment

that's ok to keep accidents in the home from happening with kids or having it taken from an officer and used on him, but in the real world, not a practical solution. if you wana really save lives, us as parents need to bring our children up with a higher value on human life.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                        I would love one, if 100% effective it eliminates the need for a safe. (keep it in the nightstand, ect.)

up until that battery dies right when you need it to defend your house or family.

65.4 million guns has been purchased in the US just since Obama has taken office. Good luck getting those all back to update them with this new technology. Ill bet the bad guys will be standing in line to turn in the old weapons to get the update.
                        Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by dishwab View Post
                          But you do like possessing the only key that starts it, right? Much more apt comparison...

This is an interesting idea - depending on costs and effectiveness this could be a good step forward
                          Indeed, I love my car key. Making a gun proprietary to one user is an old idea and I don't believe the original objections to that idea have been resolved. The devil is in the details, which are not in that article cited.

Show me the principles of operation of this device.
                          sigpic
                          Don't buy an e30

They're stupid

Comment

This will do nothing to stop the hundreds of millions of firearms already in circulation. Gun issues are both hardware and user related, with the predominant issue being users and gun culture in general. This is a band-aid that wouldn't make a lick of difference.

Comment

Originally posted by frankenbeemer View Post
                              Indeed, I love my car key. Making a gun proprietary to one user is an old idea and I don't believe the original objections to that idea have been resolved. The devil is in the details, which are not in that article cited.

Show me the principles of operation of this device.
                              Again, with your car analogy: keys don't stop every instance of auto theft, but there would certainly be more instances of it if cars could be started by anyone who opens the door.

Obviously this wouldn't stop every instance of gun violence. No one is saying it's the be all, end all solution to gun crime! It could, however, be a feasible step in the right direction.

And I have no idea how it would operate, I'm not an engineer nor a firearms manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
                              X