No announcement yet.

3d printable firearm...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go do some research outside of Rush and Hannity and come back.
    No desire to do that. My researched opinion wont do me any more good than my uninformed opinion. All it will be good for is to argue on the internet with you nice folk. It won't change gun laws. I am all for serious back ground checks. Make gun ownership hard to achieve and the right to own them easy to lose once you abuse it. Just like drivers license should be.

My feelings are that the government will never be able control weapon traffic between criminals. And to punish non-criminals to attempt it is ignorant. I'm not saying they shouldn't try. I'm just saying thats not the way to go about doing it.
    sigpic

Comment

Proper education on the matter vs. restriction should be an option.
      NRG Quick Release/MOMO Hubs|NRG Limited Edition Deep Dish Wheels|NRG Wood Wheels|Nardi|
      9five Eyewear|Day of the Dead Tees|
      WORK Wheels|Lug Nuts|
      STÄTUS|
      Got Juice?|

Comment

Originally posted by chance View Post
        I DONT UNDERSTAND THE HUGE ISSUE WITH 3D PRINTING AND GUNS

The technology that is even remotely affordable for the average person (My friend built a 3d printer for 800 dollars) will not produce parts strong enough for use in a firearm.

Anyone with 1000 dollars and some time could buy a manual milling machine, a case of 80% AR15 lowers and have a stack of them ready for use in a rifle in an afternoon. Yes, real aluminum ones.
        This is also completely legal.
        People have produced lowers that have withheld 600 rounds being fired through them, and this is just the start. There eventually and probably are plastics that can withstand more rounds being fired through them. Also, it takes a HELL of a lot more skill to manually mill your own lower. With a 3D printer you download the file and click start and it makes it for you. You can also 3D print 30 round magazines, which are illegal in California (don't know where else, if any).

Comment

Originally posted by Evan12 View Post
          People have produced lowers that have withheld 600 rounds being fired through them, and this is just the start. There eventually and probably are plastics that can withstand more rounds being fired through them. Also, it takes a HELL of a lot more skill to manually mill your own lower. With a 3D printer you download the file and click start and it makes it for you. You can also 3D print 30 round magazines, which are illegal in California (don't know where else, if any).
          Yes I know how they work. I have printed many things. There are also a number of companies where you can send them a sxy file and they will mail you the 3d printed part. I haven't heard that pop up in these conversations yet. Are we going to make those companies know all the laws and what parts they can ship to people in California?

Machining a 80% lower is very easy. Its a single low tolerance pocket and a few pin holes. If someone doesn't have the ability to measure on the machine, you could spend the extra money on jigs that show you exactly where to cut and drill. Seriously, and idiot could accomplish it.

That's besides the argument though, banning tools will not solve anything. People determined to carry out destruction and intend to harm will find ways to do it. There is no way you could stop someone from making a bomb for example. There are hundreds of ways to make improvised explosives with household goods.

You will never be able to take the violent behavior out of a person, so banning good people from having access to inanimate objects is just moronic.
          1991 335is in progress

Comment

this article sums up my opinion nicely:

Several people have sent us this story. I’ve seen it everywhere. A lot of people are upset, on several sides.  A gun has been 3d printed that can actually fire a round. First, we have people …
            sigpic
            Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
            If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

The issue is not with the technology used to produce to parts/gun, but in the actual production of them. The company that is heading this program is led by a self proclaimed anarchist. He wants people to be able to produce untraceable firearms. Right now he has two major projects going, 1. printable ar style lowers and magazines, 2. (the more dangerous) a fully functioning gun. The fully functioning gun is right now only a single shot pistol with the only store bought part being a nail from the hardware store. This gun already violates the federal law on plastic guns. To stay out of jail they added a couple ounces of metal to make it detectable.

Now yes the technology is out of the price range of most average people. But the ability to outsource the printing already exists. Whats to stop someone from having a gun printed for them. Remember these are undetectable by metal detectors. Can you say perfect assassination gun?

Or on the ar lower part. Whats to stop someone or a group from having a bunch made, stockpiling a untraceable arsenal. It's not about those that would use this lawfully, but those that won't. Responsible gun owners giving criminals and terrorists a super easy outlet to get untraceable guns doesn't sound to responsible to me.

Comment

Just because someone won't pass a background check doesnt mean that they cant buy a real firearm. Its really not that hard to get a firearm illegally.

Remember, a firearm is just a tool.

look at Malaysia. Weapons of all kinds have been completely banned there for quite some time. What did the people do? Did all the violent people stop doing violence? No, of course not. They developed Silat Melayu. Its a martial arts form that is based on using farm tools as weapons...

I am much more afraid of the current "untraceable" arsenal that is out there on the streets right now, than I am of the stockpiles of plastic single shot .22lr pistols that someone could spend thousands of dollars and months of time printing.
                1991 335is in progress

Comment

Remember, a firearm is just a tool.
                  You're trying to push opinion as unequivocal fact, and it's not going to work. We've been down this road many times before on this forum, a firearm's sole function is to wound or kill. That means it deserves special treatment.

By your definition a nuclear warhead is simply a tool as well, an inanimate object who's sole purpose is to wound/kill.

You will never be able to take the violent behavior out of a person, so banning good people from having access to inanimate objects is just moronic.
                  Many other countries do just fine with firearms being so prevalent as personal defense weapons. How about instead you address the issues which cause such distinct differences and social problems leading to such violence? Unfortunately the same people who are so desperate to clutch onto their guns are also the type to vote for politicians who provide the least as far as social programs for underprivileged individuals. If you keep people in the gutter, you're damn right they're going to behave as such.

"The only defense against a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"
                  You're a poster child for ignorance and slogan pitching, do you actually eat all of this crap up so willingly?

Comment

I'm itching to respond to the political comments , but its already way off topic.

But I still stand by the opinion that the person is at fault, not the device, not that they are "underprivileged", not that they would rather live off of government programs their entire life instead of working and making a decent living for themselves.

My father was poor as dirt growing up and lived off of food stamps. But he didn't resort to violence and crime. He worked his ass off to get a job and get off of government aid and paid his way through college and eventually worked his way up to great paying employment.

So again, the choices of a person is what defines them.

Also, if you haven't fired a firearm in a sporting environment, or even at all, then you are really missing out. It really is a lot of fun and is very competitive.
                    1991 335is in progress

Comment

That's besides the argument though, banning tools will not solve anything. People determined to carry out destruction and intend to harm will find ways to do it. There is no way you could stop someone from making a bomb for example. There are hundreds of ways to make improvised explosives with household goods.

I agree 100%

Comment

Apparently a lot of people have never heard of 3D printers before this story, and those people are clearly under the impression that it is just like the star trek replicator. And yes these are the same people that start a lot of political arguments. push button, free gun. yes, JUST LIKE THAT. ugh.
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
                        If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                          Apparently a lot of people have never heard of 3D printers before this story, and those people are clearly under the impression that it is just like the star trek replicator. And yes these are the same people that start a lot of political arguments. push button, free gun. yes, JUST LIKE THAT. ugh.

I guess thats really the problem. People hear printer and think instant fully functioning gun.
                          1991 335is in progress

Comment

In the case of the single shot pistol/gun, click print and instant gun is exactly what it is. The only non printed parts is the firing pin, which is a nail from a hardware store. Thats it.

Now on the ar parts he's printing. The parts he's printing are what contain the serial numbers for the gun. The part that requires a licence to purchase. Every other part can be purchased freely threw the web or catalogs with no licence required.

Now for the argument that they'll get their hands on a gun no matter what. Yes that's true. But rolling over and saying why bother doing anything about it while giving them another outlet to get their hands on them doesn't seem to smart.

Maybe the american motto should become "why bother", seems to be how we do things these days.
                            Last edited by sumoashe; 05-09-2013, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sumoashe View Post

Now on the ar parts he's printing. The parts he's printing are what contain the serial numbers for the gun. The part that requires a licence to purchase.

But if he chooses to print them for his personal use an,d has no intention at the time of selling. No serial number is needed. At a later date the firearm can be sold for profit with out a number printed.

Just food for thought if you did not already know. :)
                              Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

You're a poster child for ignorance and slogan pitching, do you actually eat all of this crap up so willingly?
                                That quote was directly from the video posted above. I didn't express my opinion on it, I simply quoted it. Food for thought. I have no idea who the guy was that said it or what other views he has. How can I be the poster child from one quote?

If I smoke one cigarette in a time of bad judgement am I a "smoker" or a "poster child" for smoking?

Obviously its not the only defense but would you like to be in a stand off against an armed assailant, with a lesser weapon or no weapon at all? I doubt it unless you're and idiot or have a death wish.

I think to jump so quickly to conclusions about someone else based on one thing they said on the internet speaks more to your ignorance than mine.

You gun hating, panty waste, hipster. Your mother should have swallowed you or let your dad shoot you into her pooper so she could shit you out later. Don't cha know? ;):p

Cale = Angriest Canadian ever.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X