No announcement yet.

Non-correctable exhaust ticket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't make sense does it? I guess they figure, f*ck it...you can keep your exhaust just pay them $196 so they can bust you again later on. Maybe you'll fix it, maybe you won't...they don't care as long as they get paid. Otherwise it would just be correctable with a $10 or 30 "court fee," but then the city wouldn't make any money off that.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      Doesn't make sense does it? I guess they figure, f*ck it...you can keep your exhaust just pay them $196 so they can bust you again later on. Maybe you'll fix it, maybe you won't...they don't care as long as they get paid. Otherwise it would just be correctable with a $10 or 30 "court fee," but then the city wouldn't make any money off that.
      Yeah it's kind of a dick move haha.

Comment

Whats the rule on exhaust? Is there a dB limit?
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

seems easier.

you choose to run the straight pipe exhaust.
          you know you aren't allowed to do that.
          you get a ticket for it.
          pay the ticket
          if you want to continue doing that go for it.
          you just run the risk of getting another ticket.

the fact that exhaust tickets used to be correctable with a fix it ticket was a luxury that probably got taken advantage of by car enthusiast.

-
          Project
          Parts for Sale
          Feedback
          YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            Honestly, no idea. Mine's pretty loud though. He didn't really do a dB test or anything on it, just went by ear.

Comment

I can imagine that the straight pipe would be deafening, not sure why anyone would want that. Mine will be cat straight pipe into a muffler, so it will be loud, but not likely to be annoyingly loud
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yes there is... I used to know what the max was because i got the ticket a few years back for loud exhaust and illegal headers.
                Would have been a fine of $860 if I didn't return to a stock system
                I was able to put the stock exhaust back on and take my e30 to the referee for testing and sign off.
                The ticket did require that I appear before a judge, I could not just give the signed ticket to the clerk.

Edit: I looked it up, no louder than 95 dbA.
                Also, I remember that the test is 1 meter (3feet) from the tail pipe.
                Last edited by wilholl; 09-20-2016, 07:24 PM.
                1988 325 non-letter Seta "Bronzit"
                1991 325ic "Laguna Green" (Sold)
                1993 325i "Laguna Green/Silver" (Sold)
                1998 528i "Artic Silver" m-sport(totalled by drunk driver)
                2000 528i Titansilber/gray m-sport
                2000 528i Titansilber/black m-sport(sold)
                2001 525i Anthracite m-sport(sold)
                2013 750i Black/Black m-sport "Beast"

Comment

Oh, what the hell.... Here's the whole thing...

Exhaust systems for motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 LB (2,722 kg) shall comply with the specified noise limits when tested in accordance with the following specifications:

(a) Measuring Site. The vehicle under test shall be positioned either on outdoor pavement or on a shop floor ( but not over a hoist or pit) in a location where the exhaust outlets are near an open shop door. No sound-reflecting surface other than the pavement and the vehicle being measured shall be within 10 ft (3.0m) of any part of the vehicle.

The testing is done in an environment in which there is minimal sound contamination. Please note that there is nothing stating highways or other public roads as being an exception to this criterion.

(b) Microphone Location. The microphone for the sound level meter shall be at the same height as the center of the exhaust outlet. The microphone shall be no closer to the pavement than 8 in. (203mm) when the exhaust outlet is lower than this height. The microphone shall be positioned with its longitudinal axis parallel to the ground, 20 inches plus or minus 1 inch (508mm plus or minus 24mm) from the nearest edge of the exhaust outlet, and 45 degrees plus or minus 10 degrees from the axis of the outlet. For exhaust outlets located under the vehicle body, the microphone shall be located at the specified angle and at least 8 in., (203mm) from the nearest part of the vehicle. For exhaust outlets that make an angle of 45 degree or less with the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, the microphone shall be outboard of the exhaust axis. For exhaust outlet angles of more than 45 degrees, the microphone shall be on the side of the exhaust axis to the rear of the vehicle.

This denotes where the sound measuring device is relatively close to the exhaust outlet. Notice that it does not make any references to provisions for sound level testing done from distances greater than 21 inches. <

(c) Engine Operation. The engine shall be at a normal running temperature with the transmission in neutral. System sound level measurements conducted for certification by exhaust manufacturers shall be made at an average steady-state engine speed of three-quarters of maximum rpm. Sound level measurements conducted by licensed muffler certification stations shall be made at an average steady-state engine speed of 3,000 rpm for vehicles manufactured before 1972 for which the station does not have a maximum rpm data.

Please notice that the engine is supposed to be running and the law has no provisions for parked vehicles. Note that the certification can be done by the manufacturer of the exhaust system. There is no requirement that the manufacturer sound test each individual vehicle. Re: "licensed muffler certification stations," the letter from the California Highway Patrol file Number 60.A9190.A9181.062.9610186 states in the third paragraph that these facilities were canceled in 1978 due to budgetary cut-backs.

(d) Exhaust Sound Level Measurement. The recorded exhaust system sound level of a stationary vehicle shall be the highest reading obtained during the test, disregarding unrelated peaks due to extraneous ambient noise. When there is more than one exhaust outlet, the reported sound level shall be for the loudest outlet. When there are two or more exhaust outlets separated by less than 12 in. (305mm), measurements shall be made on the outlet closest to the side or rear of the vehicle. (Figure 4). The sound level for the motor vehicles with the manufacturers' gross vehicle ratings of less than 6,000 LB (2,722 kg) except motorcycles, shall not exceed the following limit:

The statement stating extraneous ambient noise refers to noise coming from places other than the exhaust. For this reason, testing cannot be done in a sound-contaminated environment. It would be logical that a roadside or a highway would be a sound-contaminated environment.

(1) Sound Level Limit. The exhaust noise shall not exceed 95 dB(A).
                  This is very straightforward and should leave nothing to interpretation.

(2) Exemption. The exhaust noise of vehicles manufactured after 1967 may exceed 95 dB(A) if the replacement parts are no louder than the original equipment or "factory duplicate" system and the total sound level of the vehicle when tested in accordance with Sections 1040 through 1049 of this title complies with the limits in Vehicle Code Section 27205 for the year of manufacture of that vehicle.

Comment

If the officer didn't take an official reading, then I would definitely contest the ticket.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I can imagine that the straight pipe would be deafening, not sure why anyone would want that. Mine will be cat straight pipe into a muffler, so it will be loud, but not likely to be annoyingly loud
                      It's really not that bad. I don't have much drone on the freeway if I'm going at least 60 and the only "annoying" part (not for me since I'm used to it) is if I do a somewhat hard acceleration and that's because I have an exhaust leak so the noise is coming from right under me.

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                      If the officer didn't take an official reading, then I would definitely contest the ticket.
                      I'd rather not. The cop was being nice when he gave me the exhaust ticket. I was accelerating hard after a red light and I chirped 2nd gear which is why he pulled me over. I was only going like 45 mph on a 40 mph street but he said it classifies as reckless driving. I don't know how I didn't see him honestly.

Comment

The officer is not required to test the exhaust.
                        They can write a ticket based on their observation of how loud your exhaust is. It is up to the owner to get it tested or fixed.
                        Technically, any exhaust modification is illegal.

Comment

I got one of these a few years ago in my e36. It was definitely too loud, so I earned it. What was scary was that the car came with me from NJ with a wholeeee bunch of mods that are not ok in CA, and I didn't have any of the original parts. I had to get it inspected by the referee who wanted to see the whole exhaust system headers to tips, and wanted to see that I had the oe headers and midsection (cats) still in place. Luckily the only parts I brought with me were the original exhaust system so that was ok, but under the hood was not ok with some other things hiding. Long story short I said my hood latch was broken (which it was) and couldn't pop the hood. And I passed because he thought I was a nice guy and let me be the one exception to popping the hood for him.

Had I popped the hood, I'm sure it would've been very bad. That inspection would't have ended well. It was a big enough PITA to swap the exhaust. I couldn't even imagine having to "un-build" half the car to pass one of these inspections like someone with a turbo etc.

So honestly I think this is good that it's only a fine now and no inspection. It means you don't have to be scared of an exhaust ticket condemning your car, or causing you to rebuild half the thing for an inspection. Of course it's best to keep the db reasonable :D
                          '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                          Shadetree30

Comment

what is it with you and broken hood latches?! haha
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                              So honestly I think this is good that it's only a fine now and no inspection. It means you don't have to be scared of an exhaust ticket condemning your car, or causing you to rebuild half the thing for an inspection. Of course it's best to keep the db reasonable :D
                              Well I wouldn't have to unbuild much considering the only thing I have under the hood is a strut bar . But yeah, I'm kinda grateful it's just a fine because I really didn't feel like replacing the exhaust. Knowing me I would have put the loud one back anyways because that's how I like it haha.

Comment

And for reference....
                                The referee looked up my year, make, model on my e30. He then referred to a table which gave him the max RPM for the test. Than proceeded to rev the engine up to the required RPM while testing the output.
                                Mine is a 88 2.7L Seta so the RPM limit was lower than if it was a 2.5L i.

With stock exhaust, my max tested decibel output was still 91 db(A)...
                                Not too far away from the 95 db(A) limit.
                                Last edited by wilholl; 09-23-2016, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X